jennifer65

Default John Douglas born in Closeburn

Hi everyone this is my 1st post so please forgive my mistakes I need help finding parents a baptism and a Death for John Douglas born in Closeburn he has 2 diferent birth dates in the 1841 he gives 1805 as birthdate in the 1851 and 1861 he gives 1799 he married a Charlotte Nivison on 1st January 1832 in Closeburn Dumfries Scotland his given occupation as a shepherd in 1851 census and as a gamekeeper in son Williams Douglas wedding on 14 July 1855 and the 1861 he is living with son John in Kelton Kirkcudbright also his wife Charlotte Nivison I need parents a baptism also death and any siblings for either person she is said to be deceased in son William Douglas Wedding licence 1855 in the 1841 she is down as being born in 1811 living in Rhoniston there is a marriage I found in i.g.i. but I havent been able to find anything else she is my 3rd Grandmother the batch no for the wedding is 7213608 sheet 98 source call no 0820361 I have been stuck on this since 2010 I will be very gratefull for any help I can get jennifer

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer65 View Post
    he has 2 diferent birth dates in the 1841 he gives 1805 as birthdate in the 1851 and 1861 he gives 1799
    Hello there and welcome to the forum

I shouldn't worry too much about the discrepancy in age on the censuses: on the 1841 census the ages of adults were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5, so people can appear to be a few years younger than they really were.

(Incidentally, the census enumerators' books don't show years of birth, only ages. The years of birth given in online census transcripts such as Ancestry are just calculated based on the age shown and should always be taken as approximate.)

bamagirl

Hi, Jennifer. Welcome aboard!

I've been attempting to re-create some of what you have posted, partly because there is no punctuation, so I have trouble parsing all the data.

I found the IGI marriage record you mentioned for John and Charlotte (Challet). Please be aware that this is "user contributed" data. I went to Scotlandspeople and could not get a marriage record in either the Catholic or regular OPR listings that match those "facts."

On the new version of Familysearch.org the only male child birth record I found for Douglas in Closeburn in the target time frame had no first name:
    name: Douglas
    baptism/christening place: , CLOSEBURN, DUMFRIES, SCOTLAND
    birth date: 21 Oct 1805
    birthplace: , Closeburn, Dumfries, Scotland
    father's name: Stewart Douglas
    mother's name: Jean Dickson
    indexing project (batch) number: C11816-2
    system origin: Scotland-VR
    source film number: 1067957

I did a search on these parents and found 2 daughters, but no other sons. If you are very certain about the location, this might be your guy. But there are other John Douglas's born in Dumphrieshire, so maybe not.

I think your first move, if you haven't done it already is to register on Scotlandspeople.gov.uk and look at what you can via free search results (tinker with the criteria until you only get 1 result) or at least only 1 page of results. Then you can purchase credits and start viewing images of original documents. There are often pieces of information that don't get transcribed which become valuable clues to finding other records.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.
    Regards,
    -Barb