Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Clark

Happyfeet

Default Sarah Clark

I have traced my ancestor Sarah Lee ( nee ) Clark in the UK up until the 1851 census. After that Sarah and her husband Joseph disappear off the UK radar. Its been suggested that they may have emigrated to North America as did two of her siblings, but i have`nt been able to verify this yet. This is where i need help

Sarah was born 1817 in Ely, Cambridgeshire. Her husband name was Joseph Lee born 1813.
    Her parents were Joseph Clark and Frances

Brick wall demolition expert!

I assume that the Sarah and Joseph Lee that you are refering to in the 1851 Census are these:
    Piece:1764
    Folio: 732
    Page:36
    Registration District:Ely
    Civil Parish:Littleport
    Address:City, Littleport
    County:Cambridgeshire

That Sarah is born in London.

She appears as a widow in the 1861 Census. I can't see her in the 1871 Census. There is a death registered for Sarah Ann Lee Wisbech 1862.

There are 2 potential death registrations for Joseph. 1854 Cambridge and 1861 Chesterton.

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    She appears as a widow in the 1861 Census.
    The 1861 Censes Ref is RG9 Piece 1040 fol. 56 p. 27. Sarah is living with John (age 16), Joseph (age 12), Beales (age 10) and a boarder, Sarah Bilney who could possibly be a relative.

In 1871:
    • Beales appears to be working as an Ag Lab and boarding at Butcher Hill, Littleport [RG10 Piece 1607
    fol. 7 p. 6]
    • John and Joseph (junior) are working as Ag Labs and living with James & Sarah Warner in Littleport.
    [RG10 Piece 1606 fol. 24 p. 36].
    • As Sarah Warner was born in Middlesex, it looks as though she may be Sarah Lee. There is a marriage
    of Sarah Lee and (almost certainly) James Warner in Ely RD, March Quarter 1865, vol.3b p. 747

Edit - Oh I've just noticed this - Sarah was born 1817 in Ely, Cambridgeshire. I'll re-check the info I've just posted.
    Last edited by malcolm99; 26-03-2012 at 9:36 AM. Reason: tidying up plus addedEdit

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    Edit - Oh I've just noticed this - Sarah was born 1817 in Ely, Cambridgeshire. I'll re-check the info I've just posted.
    Well these censuses seem to fit in with the 1841 Census HO107 Piece 77 Book 8 fol. 4 p. 2.

Happyfeet -are we working on the same family that you've found in the 1851 census?

Happyfeet

Hi malcolm99

I don`t think thats the right Sarah. My Sarah Clark was born in 1817 in Ely, Cambridgeshire. Baptized on the 14 July 1817. Married a Joseph Lee in Manea, Cambridgeshire on the 11 April 1839. 1841 and 1851 census lived somewhere in Cambridgeshire. After that i have no idea what happened to her. This is what i`m trying to piece together. Is there any truth in the story they emigrated to the New world

malcolm99

Have you got a reference for the 1841 & 1851 Censuses so that we could have a look at your Joseph & Sarah?

bamagirl

Happyfeet:

Last night I checked some of the "incoming to North America" passenger list sites with no luck. Do the family legends indicate where in America they may have gone? What are some other family member names worth collateral research for clues??

Barb

Happyfeet

malcolm99

Sorry i have`nt got the ref for the 1841 & 1851 census, these unofficial FamilySearch doc were passed on to me by another person.

-------------------------------

Hi Barb

It was put to me that they may have emigrating on the grounds that the 1870 United States Census ref: page 22. no 31-35 ( which i have a copy ) shows Joseph Lee his wife Sarah and 2 children living in Jefferson, New York.
    Its probably just a coincident, i don`t know.

Colin

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Happyfeet View Post
    the 1870 United States Census ref: page 22. no 31-35 ( which i have a copy ) shows Joseph Lee his wife Sarah and 2 children living in Jefferson, New York.
    Colin, can you tell us the children's names and their dates and places of birth?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Colin
    I think that you need to go back to the census pages that you have and look again. I have looked and the only Sarah Lee with a husband called Joseph living in Cambridgeshire are the following:

1841 census
    Sarah Birth Year Age Registration Joseph
    District/Parish

LEE, Sarah 1816 25 Ely Joseph is husband born 1816. An Ag Lab. Sons John and James
    LEE, Sarah 1806 35 Ely Joseph is husband born 1791 – a farmer

1851 census
    Sarah Birth Year Age Registration Joseph
    District/Parish

LEE, Sarah 1815 36 Ely Joseph is husband born 1815 and Ag Lab
    LEE, Sarah 1828 23 Shepreth Joseph is husband born 1827 – a labourer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast