Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Clark

bamagirl

Hi, Colin (and others playing along):

I found the image on HeritageQuest of the 1870 Federal Census from Rutland, Jefferson Co, New York:
    Dwelling 178, Family 174
    Lee, Joseph, 58, male, white, Stone Cutter, real prop 300, personal prop 300 b. England, f foreign born,
    m foreign born, male U.S. Citizen over age 21 (eligible to vote)
    Lee, Sarah, 52, female, white, b. England, both parents foreign born
    Lee, George, 21, male, white Stone Cutter, b. NY, both parents foreign born, male U.S. Citizen over 21
    Lee, Frank A, 15, male, white, parents foreign born, attending school
    Fraser, Sarah, 77, female, white, b. England, parents foreign born.

Doing the math: Joseph=1812; Sarah=1818; George=1849; Frank=1855; Sarah Fraser=1893

If George's age is correct, they would probably not be the same family in the 1851 Census in Cambridgeshire.

Is there any Sarah Fraser b. 1893 associated with the family from Ely?

I will be happy to backtrack this family unit for you , if you wish, or pursue other avenues of investigation from this side of the pond. Just give the word.

-Barb

malcolm99

That's really useful Barb - thanks for posting the full details.

malcolm99

I've had a good look around but I can't find anything convincing. Barb, if you could find some sort record prior to 1870 I'm sure it would help.

I haven't been able to discover a Clark/Lee/Fraser connection as yet.
    Last edited by malcolm99; 27-03-2012 at 8:00 PM. Reason: added last sentence

bamagirl

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    I've had a good look around but I can't find anything convincing. Barb, if you could find some sort record prior to 1870 I'm sure it would help.

I haven't been able to discover a Clark/Lee/Fraser connection as yet.
    1860 US Federal census Rutland, Jefferson Co, New York (Black River post office) Dwelling 42, Family 42

Joseph Lee, 48, male, stone cutter, real prop 400, personal prop 235, b. England
    Sarah Lee, 39, female, b. England
    John N Lee, 17, m., laborer, b. Michigan
    Joseph Lee, 15, m. b. Michigan, in school
    William Lee, 13, m. b. New York, in school
    George Lee, 11, m. b. New York, in school
    Mary E Lee, 9, f. b. New York, in school
    Frank Lee, 5, m. b. New York
    Sarah Fraser, 67, f. "retired Lady", b. England
    Mary [looks like] Barton, 36, f. ditto occupation - retired lady, b. England

Math time: Joseph=1812; Sarah=1821; John N=1843; Joseph Jr=1845; William=1847; George=1849; Mary E=1851; Frank=1855; Sarah Fraser=1793; and Mary Barton=1824.

Sorry, Colin. This is looking less and less like your bunch.

-Barb

Coromandel

FamilySearch has what looks like the same family in 1850, in Vienna, Oneida, NY. See dwelling no. 39 (family no. 39) here. The eldest child, Ann E. Lee is 11 and born NY. Assuming she is Joseph & Sarah's daughter then that would put the family's emigration date back to before 1840.

If Happyfeet's Joseph & Sarah are definitely in England in 1841/1851 then I think they must be a different couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyfeet View Post
    My Sarah Clark was born in 1817 in Ely, Cambridgeshire. Baptized on the 14 July 1817. Married a Joseph Lee in Manea, Cambridgeshire on the 11 April 1839.
    Do you have a copy of the marriage certificate or full details from the parish register? What was Joseph's occupation?

Have you explored other possible explanations for the disappearance of your Joseph & Sarah? For example, Joseph could have died and then Sarah remarried.

Happyfeet

The only records i have knowing to be a 100% true are copies from the Ely Parish Register showing Sarah Clark`s baptism on the 14 July 1817, and the Manea Parish Register showing the Marriage to Joseph Lee in 1839. The reason they got Married in Manea was Sarah and her family moved there from Ely round about 1835. After their marriage i have no idea where they moved to or what happened to them. This is the brickwall i keep coming up against.

Colin

bamagirl

Colin, you mentioned earlier that Sarah had two siblings who went to North America. Can you share some of their info? It might give us a clue where to look.

I found another Joseph/Sarah couple in Minnesota who are a little younger that yours. They came over in 1850.

I've also run across many Sarah Lee's b. England and widowed.

The Rutland, NY bunch are still around in 1880. With Sarah Fraser listed as mother and "living with son,"

Do we know your Joseph's parents names or what his occupation was?

I feel your frustration. Hang in there.
    Barb

Happyfeet

The American suggestion for the Lee`s was the one from Rutland, NY mentioned above. As for the name of Joseph parent,his father was John Lee. Joseph`s occupation at the time he married Sarah, was a Labourer.

Sarah was my great grand aunt. She was the third child of 13. The two siblings that went to America were Henry her twin and Nehemiah. Her parents were Joseph & Frances Clark

bamagirl

Thanks for that additional info.

Barb

bamagirl

I did a g00gle search on "Joseph Lee" Jefferson County NY and got a hit for his cemetery record on a local genealogy site:
    https://www.
    nnygenealogy.com/pages/cemetery/individual_burial.php?burialid=86517&page=36&cemet eryid=17

Name Joseph Lee
    Maiden Name
    Nickname
    Date of Birth **
    Date of Death ** 04-05-1887
    Age 74y
    Spouse
    Date of Marriage **
    Veteran
    Cemetery (name/alt/alt) Black River Cemetery
    Section within cemetery n/a
    Village Black River
    Town / County Rutland, Jefferson County
    Burial ID 86517

** All dates are in month-day-year (mm-dd-yyyy) or year (yyyy) format.

And here's Sarah's listing:

https://www.
    nnygenealogy.com/pages/cemetery/burialdetail.php?page=7&burialid=86364&name=Lee

Name Sarah Lee
    Maiden Name
    Nickname
    Date of Birth **
    Date of Death ** 1888
    Age 70y
    Spouse Joseph Lee
    Date of Marriage **
    Veteran
    Cemetery (name/alt/alt) Black River Cemetery
    Section
    Village Black River
    Town / County Rutland, Jefferson County
    Photo Number No Photo Available
    Burial ID 86364

** Dates are in month-day-year (mm-dd-yyyy) or year (yyyy) format.

Also on this site is a reference to Joseph's newspaper death notice that only adds his age as 74y7m. No additional data there.

-Barb

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast