Thread: Burial in Kent?

Kath Wye

Default Burial in Kent?

My Gt Gran,Charlotte Cornock died in Deptford Kent in July 1890, she was born in Gloucestershire in 1818.
    Where was she buried??? her death was registered in Greenwich.
    I believe the parish where she lived was St Paul's. is there any record of burials available for St Paul's?
    Kathleen

Coromandel

Hello Kathleen and welcome to the forum

I was hoping one of our London experts would come and answer this one, but they don't seem to be around right now so I will put in an interim answer before your post disappears from 'Today's Posts'.

A previous thread on this forum does explain where to find the records of Deptford St Paul. However, by the time your great-grandmother died, many urban churchyards had been closed, so it is much more likely that you will find her burial in a public cemetery.

On the Kent Online Parish Clerks site there's a useful guide to cemeteries in that county:

https://www.
    kent-opc.org/Cemeteries.html

Under the heading Deptford it refers to two cemeteries, Ladywell and Brockley. According to the North West Kent FHS website, the once distinct Lewisham Cemetery (later called Ladywell Cemetery) and Deptford Cemetery (later called Brockley Cemetery) have been administered as a single unit since 1965:

nwkfhs.org.uk/ladywell.htm

The names of nearly 37,000 people mentioned on around 13,700 surviving gravestones can be seen on the above site. I can't see any Cornocks there. However, as in so many burial places, the majority of those buried will have no surviving memorial. The NWKFHS site advises contacting Lewisham Council for information on burial records. This looks like the appropriate page (see the section on 'Burial and cremation records'):

lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/birthsdeathsmarriages/Pages/Historical-records.aspx

By the way, do you have the exact date and place of death from your great-grandmother's death certificate? (The cemeteries may not be prepared to do a search without these details.)

sueannbowen

Hi Kathleen, have you seen her Will? England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1861-1941 Record for Charlotte Cornock says her estate was valued at £63; administration granted to George Cornock her son.

Mutley

Her address at death was 46 St John's Road, Deptford as was that of George the son.

Don't know if that will take you nearer to a Burial Ground.

Would this not be better in the Kent forum - doesn't have much to do with general queries on church registers.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Mead View Post
    Would this not be better in the Kent forum - doesn't have much to do with general queries on church registers.
    I would have thought that a burial would be in a 'church register' but if Kathleen would now prefer to place the thread in Kent, I would be happy to move it.

Reputation beyond repute

Deptford wasn't in Kent in 1890! In fact for much of the 19th century, even before the London County Council was formed, Deptford was effectively administered as part of London. It would more sense for it to go in the London forum.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Given the changeaboutability of things in England back then I think the 'B.G.any forum' would fit.

I saw the post without even trying.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Kath Wye

Default A Burial for gt Grandmother.Charlotte Cornock

Thank you everyone for your help re Gt Grandma's burial. her death was registered in Greenwich, July Quarter 1890, ref 1d 563, She died intestate . the probate was granted to her son,George dated July 1890.
    I have applied for an 'admon'. She died at 46 St John's Rd,New Town,Deptford. Will follow up the leads given.
    Many thanks .Your help much appreciated.
    Kathleen