franny48

Default Patrick Sheridan of Breffni Tce, WWI soldier

Family story indicates that Patrick Sheridan of Breffni Terrace in Cavan town enlisted in service during WWI.
    Not sure if he enlisted under the British forces or the Irish Free State forces. According to the story he never returned to Cavan. Another story has him in England or Scotland. Is there any way or any web site where one can research these things?

He was the son of Patrick Sheridan and Anne Clerkin Sheridan of 1 Breffni Terrace in Cavan town. He was born on March 11, 1884 in Derrycramp, Cavan, County Cavan.

If anyone can shed any light on how I can research this it would be very much appreciated.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by franny48 View Post
    He was the son of Patrick Sheridan and Anne Clerkin Sheridan of 1 Breffni Terrace in Cavan town. He was born on March 11, 1884 in Derrycramp, Cavan, County Cavan.
    Not a WW1 record but...

There is a military record for a Patrick SHERIDAN born abt. 1882 in the parish of Cavan, Co. Cavan who attested to the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers in 1901 and was discharged in 1908. Parents Patrick and Ann of Brifney Terrace, Cavan. Also a brother called Edward.

Possibly your chap.

Reference is WO97 / 5889 / 69. If you obtain credits, you can view the record on the pay/subscription site findmypast. There are 4 images.

franny48

Wow, thank you very much! These are indeed my great-uncles, Pat and Eddie. Eddie lost his eye in the WWI and returned to Cavan to live out his days, whilst Pat never came back to Cavan and his life after 1908 is a mystery. You have given me a great gift and I will follow it through to the end. Thanks again!

franny48

I did pay for points however was unable to find the correct listing. Would you know which it referred to.
    I note that you indicate that it is not a WWI record and looking at Patrick's dates of service and discharge, I beleive it may have been during the time of the 2nd Boer War. The funny thing about that is that family lore always spoke to Edward losing his eye in the Boer war and coming home to Cavan without an eye, however the Irish cousins insisted that both Pat and Ed served in what is known as the Great War, or WWI. So the dating of Pat's service lays that family story to rest. Agian my thanks to you!

franny48

Default Patrick Sheridan Cavan Boer war

Patrick was the son of Patrick Sheridan & Anne Clerkin of 1 Breffni Terrace in Cavan town. He enlisted in the Royal Inniskiling Fusilers in 1901 with a discharge date of 1908. His brother Edward also served about the same time. I cannot seem to determine how to search this site for his records. Anyone know the very best way to search for this information? Someone gave me a reference # of WO97/5889/69-what does this refer to please????

Procat

Hi,

On the Find My Past site do a search for Patrick Sheridan, Birth year 1882. When the results are found Scroll down to the Armed forces and conflict section and select British Army Service Records 1760-1915. There should be 6 records returned and one of them is for a man Patrick Sheridan, Born 1882 in Cavan, Cavan. That is the record Olliecat was referring to.

I have merged your two threads as they relate to the same query.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I cannot seem to determine how to search this site for his records.
    Procat has answered your query on this and hopefully you will now be able to locate Patrick’s record.

I note that you indicate that it is not a WWI record and looking at Patrick's dates of service and discharge, I beleive it may have been during the time of the 2nd Boer War.
    The Second Boer War ended on 31 May 1902 and Patrick's military record indicates that he was in South Africa during the aftermath, from July 1902 to October 1903.

The funny thing about that is that family lore always spoke to Edward losing his eye in the Boer war and coming home to Cavan without an eye
    Just to clarify your point on Edward, is this your Sheridan family in the 1911 census here?

If so, Edward would have been around 7 years old at the start of the Second Boer War and would have been too young to serve. He would of course have been old enough to have served in WW1.

the Irish cousins insisted that both Pat and Ed served in what is known as the Great War, or WWI.
    In case you are not aware, the pay/subscription site Ancestry have WW1 records available to view. I did have a quick search on Ancestry for WW1 service records for both Patrick and Edward but nothing leapt out. However, I would recommend that you search through these records for yourself. You need to bear in mind that the majority of British WW1 service records for ranks other than officers were destroyed during a 1940 air raid, which means that if Patrick and/or Edward did serve in the British forces during WW1, their service records may not have survived. As an alternative to service records, you can also search through the medal roll index cards, but as there are quite a few Patrick and Edward Sheridans listed, you may have difficulty determining if a specific card relates to either of your chaps.

franny48

Thank you once more for your assistance with this. I have left it far too long and have seemed to forgotten the skills required to sleuth.
    Yes, I do see that Edward would be far too young to have served in the Boer war, however as indicated previously my Granny and her sisters all insisted he did, and now I suppose they may have mixed up the brothers service dates. Edward did serve and I beleive you are correct in indicating that he probabaly served in WWI. Whevever he served he did lose one eye in the service.
    Pat served and seems to have never returned to Cavan, or at least that is the family story. So to make the older generation happy I have decided to hunt for him.
    Again my thanks to you for your help with this.

franny48

Well thank you for your assistance to me in my quest. Visited Find My Past and followed your direction and was successful in finding the records. Suffice to say, it seems Patrick was discharged in 1908 for misconduct of some sort. Now I have another mystery to solve. My thanks to you for your help!

franny48

I will search the Ancestry site once I have a bit of time. I did find the record on Find My Past and was dismayed to see that Patrick was discharged for miscondut in 1908. Any idea of how I would further investigate the reason for his discharge. The one thing that did leap out at me on his discharge papers was that he was discharged to home base. Therefore I suspect that he may not have ended up in Scotland afterall. I will continue my search based on your good advice. With many thanks to you for your help!