Question More Help Required Please

Hello,

I would just like to thank those of you who take the time to respond to genealogical novices like me! I have already posted one message, but can you tell me, how you research modern day relatives in New Zealand if you can't access the records!! Can yoou access Ancestry in New Zealand? I don't have a subscription here in England, so I am looking for anyone to tell me how a researcher furthers their research in the 20th and 21st century?

Hope you all understand this request, and thank you again for any help you may be able to provide.

Look forward to any replies.

Regards,

Carol

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have you tried Familysearch? I did a quick check, surname- any event-1900-1930. Up came 8 pages of immigration from 1904 -1923 plus interwoven US & Canada info for that time.

Also this website, have you tried it?
    https://www.bdmonline.dia.govt.nz/
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

BonnieLynn

Carol, probably the most useful resource for researching relatives born or married during the years not available at the NZ BDM website (due to privacy concerns) is the New Zealand electoral rolls, available at Ancestry.com. The NZ Society of Genealogist also sells a CD with marriages through the 1950s. I would be glad to help you via email rather than posting information about people who may still be alive at this forum. [email protected]

A fountain of knowledge

Ancestry also has NZ street directories to 1955, if that's far enough. See:

https://search.
    ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1845 (no www)

Currently, they're only available as browseable images. However, some of us are beavering away under the World Archives Project at keying them to make them searchable. When it's done, maybe in 6 months time at the present rate of progress, the search will be free to all. If you work on that project (easy but a lot of typing), you'll be able to see the images free too. The images contain occupations and/or addresses which aren't being keyed.

Your post implies you have an Ancestry sub somewhere, in which case if I can see the images from Ancestry UK, you should be able to also. Otherwise, try for free access at a library -- may have to be the central one or Local Studies/Archives rather than a branch library.

lynleyc

Hi

There are lots of potential resources, including electoral rolls. Who are you looking for? We might be able to help.

Cheers

Lynley