Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

Default Copy/Paste query

Since updating(?) to windows7 with all of it's new quirks to learn, I've bee very annoyed by the inability of the copy/paste action to paste in order of original text.
    everything appears in a descending file instead of horizontally across the page. 1st noticed in 1911 census. A previous copy was neatly formed across the page & now it's like this:

SMITH, John

Head

Married

M

Labourer

Wooburn Town
    Buckinghamshire

VIEW

SMITH, Sarah A

Wife

Married

F

Can anyone suggest a fixit please?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

terrysfamily

When you have copied, what program are you using to paste into?

If you use 'Word' then copy as usual and select 'paste special....' from the 'edit' menu and select 'unformatted text'

If you use 'Excel' then copy as usual and select 'paste special....' from the 'edit' menu and select 'unicode text'

Hope this helps

Terry

or you could use the 'snipping tool' found in the 'start' in the bottom left corner. great for copying parts of pictures.

terrysfamily

This was done with the 'snipping tool'

Hope I'm not breaking copyright rules of BG?

Thanks Terry, I always just copy/paste to notepad, & you'll be pleased to know your post came out perfectly. I do use the snipping tool at times & save it to desktop but I can't just paste that into a Legacy file (for instance) it sits there in a little gold frame. or just a piece which one cannot then copy again.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

terrysfamily

Not sure I understand this right
    save it to desktop but I can't just paste that into a Legacy file (for instance) it sits there in a little gold frame. or just a piece which one cannot then copy again.
    When you have 'snipped' it and it asks what you want to do with it, go to 'edit' and select 'copy'. Then you should be able to paste it where ever you want to.

Give it a go. I pasted this way into 'photofiltre', 'word' and 'family tree maker'

Terry

Just tried pasting into Excel and it even pastes there too. hay I'm learning as I go along here. Gimmie a break lol

RonOne

If you're using Internet Explorer try clicking the 'compatibility view' icon (next to the address bar)

Quote Originally Posted by terrysfamily View Post
    When you have copied, what program are you using to paste into?
    If you use 'Word' then copy as usual and select 'paste special....' from the 'edit' menu and select 'unformatted text'
    If you use 'Excel' then copy as usual and select 'paste special....' from the 'edit' menu and select 'unicode text'

Hope this helps Terry
    or you could use the 'snipping tool' found in the 'start' in the bottom left corner. great for copying parts of pictures.
    All of the above worked. Thanks Terry, coping with new version of 'word' also which I rarely get to use. Had to work my way around abit.
    (I have always used notepad saved to desktop for quick editing before adding to another file)

Ron, thank you also, I tried that & on two different sites it lost the page, Familysearch blamed Tech. difficulties. however Terry has saved the day & my patience, now as long as I can edit where necessary I'm a happpy bunny,
    Happy Families
    Wendy

terrysfamily

Glad I was able to help, I was starting to feel a bit useles

Terry

Mutley

I also find it a pain, it is the formatting of Word, Wordpad and Notebook. It thinks it is being clever by inserting spaces between what it believes to be a paragraph and giving bigger line spacing than I want. I often find it to be a real bossy boots! Too clever by half.

I've managed to change the default in Word by going to Paragraph settings but I cannot seem to do that in Word Pad, I have to highlight the text and change it each time I paste something in.

Quote Originally Posted by terrysfamily View Post
    Glad I was able to help, I was starting to feel a bit useles Terry
    Never that Terry.

I was beginning to think I'd have to give up on wordpad which has been constant workmate, hated the hi-lit delete for all of the spaces betweedn descending words.

Incidentally my thanks to Mr Smith whose name I borrowed for my example. No relation in case any does ask.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast