fedup

Default Warren family of Whitton

Woud appreciate any help/answers regarding these Warrens, please.

Charles Warren was born c1815 at Whitton. I have his baptism at Whitton church 21 Sep 1815, son of John and Mary Warren of Whitton, wheelwright. Mary died at Whitton and was buried there 3 Dec 1815 age 30.

I've had no success finding any marriage for this couple at Whitton or anywhere nearby in Suffolk. Can't see John going too far afield for a bride, especially as his job probably meant he had premises locally. Mary must have been born c1785, so there is only a smallish window for the marriage, 1801-1815.

I haven't found any other children for this couple at Whitton, which would narrow the marriage window a bit. Neither have I found a marriage for them in Suffolk.

There is a John Warren, widower, retired wheelwright at Cretingham in 1851, born Diss, but how can I tell if it's the right man.

All help very much appreciated.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by fedup View Post
    There is a John Warren, widower, retired wheelwright at Cretingham in 1851, born Diss, but how can I tell if it's the right man.
    I take it you are referring to this John WARREN - >

1851 census ref: Piece: 1802; Folio: 28; Page: 10

If so, he is in the 1841 census living in Cretingham. Also listed are Mary (60), John (25), Elizabeth (30).

1841 census ref: Piece: 1028; Book: 5; Folio: 5; Page: 5

I would guess from the census that the 60 year old Mary is his wife, but as relationships are not stated on the 1841 census, this could be an incorrect assumption. However, assuming for the moment that she is his wife, if your John's wife Mary was buried in 1815 in Whitton, then unless he subsequently married another Mary, he may not be the person you are looking for.

From the 1851 census it seems that son John WARREN (who is still living with the elder John WARREN) was born abt 1814 in Cretingham, Suffolk. Checking FreeREG, there is a likely baptism for the son...

John bap. on 10 Dec 1813 at Cretingham St Peter. Father John WARREN. Mother Mary EADES. Father's occupation: carpenter. Abode: Cretingham

There is also this earlier baptism...

Susan bap. on 16 Feb 1806 at Cretingham St Peter. Born on 28 Dec 1805. Father John WARN. Mother Mary ADE.

Assuming they are the same parents, then this is rather large gap between the two children but I can't see any other baptisms in Cretingham. This begs the question, did they have any children between 1806 and 1813 and if so did they move away from Cretingham between these dates. Also, if they are the parents of your Charles, then this means that they were presumably living away from Cretingham and were near Whitton around 1815. Hmm!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Further to the above, There is this burial on FreeREG...

John WARREN buried on 21 Dec 1861 at Cretingham, St Peter. Age 82.

There is also a burial of a Mary WARREN in 1848, (age 69) and a John WARREN junr. in 1860 (age 46). Possibly his wife and his son. (See FreeREG).

Checking the National Probate Calendar, it seems that John WARREN snr left a will, which went to probate in 1862. A slight hesitation with this is that it states...

John WARREN late of Cretingham in the County of Suffolk, Yeoman.

If this is the correct will and if his son John died before him, one wonders who the beneficiaries were. If you wish to pursue this John, I would recommend that you obtain a copy of his will.

fedup

Thanks for your advice and info on this, Olliecat. On balance I doubt whether the Cretingham John is mine. Guess I seized on it because of his occupation in 1851. I'll have a further trawl through the Whitton registers before I seek further help on this one.