Thread: Parish Records

Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Parish Records

As many of you will know Findmypast issued the following press release on 1 March 2012:

We have just published almost 4 million Welsh parish registers on findmypast.co.uk
    This is the first time that the complete Welsh parish baptism, marriage and death records have been published online and is fantastic news for anyone with Welsh ancestors.
    The records cover Cardiganshire, Carmarthenshire, Denbighshire, Flintshire and Glamorganshire. Further details are as follows:
    •Baptisms: 1,418,921 records covering 1538-1911
    •Marriages: 950,254 records covering 1539-1926
    •Banns: 340,002 records covering 1701-1926
    •Burials: 1,169,685 records covering 1539-2007
    Coming soon are records for the following counties: Anglesey , Brecknockshire, Caernarvonshire, Merionethshire, Monmouthshire, Montgomeryshire, Pembrokeshire and Radnorshire.

Regretably this is not entirely accurate. I know from my own research in Aberystwyth that the records for Cardigan St Mary go back to at least 1669. If for instance you search Parish Records on the basis of "Evans" (surname) in Cardigan for baptisms they only go back to 1808, marriages back to 1755 and burials back to 1655 - of course in the latter case these come from the National Burial Index.

I haven't been looking for "Evans", but I thought that I would pick a very common name to illustrate my point. I have asked FMP for a comment, and if I get one I will pass it on.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Here is their response:

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer any specific date for release of these records or if they will ever be made available. The records are from an external source and although our customer’s interest is very important to us, we do have to consider the external resource and their wishes also. However, once we do have dates for release, we will send out a newsletter to our customers advising them of the latest, exciting developments. Please ensure that you are signed up for the newsletter as this is how the announcement will be made.

pippycat

Megan

So they don't know if the records will ever be made available, but when they are released we can read about it in the newsletter? - the exact response I'd expect from FMP, contradictory and of no help at all!