Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Coromandel

Default Welsh parish registers on Findmypast

This may be old news by now but I have just discovered that Findmypast has begun putting Welsh parish registers online. This is what they say is included at the moment:

The records cover Cardiganshire, Carmarthenshire, Denbighshire, Flintshire and Glamorganshire. Further details are as follows:

Baptisms: 1,418,921 records covering 1538-1911
    Marriages: 950,254 records covering 1539-1926
    Banns: 340,002 records covering 1701-1926
    Burials: 1,169,685 records covering 1539-2007
    with records for Anglesey, Brecknockshire, Caernarvonshire, Merionethshire, Monmouthshire, Montgomeryshire, Pembrokeshire and Radnorshire described as 'coming soon'.

What's really exciting is that search results are linked to scans of the original parish registers, so you don't have to rely on the transcribers' interpretations and can see all those crucial details, such as signatures in marriage registers.

Colin Rowledge

This is great news. I have found the baptism in Swansea of my wife's great grandmother. She will be so happy.

Colin

pippycat

Coromandel, I saw the news about Welsh registers too.

Excellent for those of us with ancestors from Wales - I can't wait for Pembroke and Montgomery, wonder what they mean by "coming soon"?!

Rebecca

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    This is great news. I have found the baptism in Swansea of my wife's great grandmother. She will be so happy.

Colin
    As well, I now have the marriage of her great-grandmother's parents from 1833. Unfotunately, the image is not available but the comments of the transcriber are as follows: personal details in the register - after Banns. Witnesses named. I would love to know the personal details.

The parish was Swansea St. Mary and the date was November 10, 1833.

Colin

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    The parish was Swansea St. Mary and the date was November 10, 1833.

Colin
    ...and in the same place in 1802 I've just found my splendidly named James Jones Freek Flook.

Thanks Coramandel

Colin Rowledge

A real problem for me is that Pembrokeshire may or may not be ever up-loaded - see reply on another thread by Megan Roberts today.

I have the marriage details from Pembrokeshire of one Rees Rees who married Martha Johnin Crinow, Pembrokeshire. The parents of neither were named. I recognise that the surname Rees is not that unusual so how do I find his parents?

Colin

pippycat

Colin, list the details you have, and we'll see where it takes us.

Rebecca

Brick wall demolition expert!

Colin

I think that some Pembrokeshire records will come on line sometime this year BUT based on my experience (detailed in thread), you should be cautious as to the extent of coverage, either in terms of date range, or in terms of actual parish inclusion. FMP do have a list of redacted parishes, but its obviously not as comprehensive as we would like.

See https://www.
    findmypast.co.uk/content/welsh-collection/parish-registers

FMP's blog on the subject claims that they are working on a comprehensive list. What I would like to see is something akin to IGI batch numbers which clearly state what years are covered - e.g:

Haverfordwest
    (Ebenezer Calvinistic Methodist) C086951 1796-1837
    (Green Meeting Saint Thomas Green Independent) C086911 1705-1836
    (Saint Martin) C081071 1800-1871
    (Saint Martin Tabernacle Independent) C086931 1780-1837
    (Saint Martin Wesleyan) C086941 1826-1837
    (Saint Mary) C081081 1799-1875
    (Saint Thomas) C081091 1813-1873
    (Saint Thomas Green Moravian Or United Brethern) C086961 1763-1835
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 20-03-2012 at 5:25 PM. Reason: removed direct link to commercial site - please read our Terms of Service.

pippycat

I notice FMP have added the following counties now:

Brecknock, Monmouth, Montgomery and Radnor - remains to be seen what the coverage is like, so I'm off to test Montgomery out!

As usual none of mine were to be found...
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast