Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default British Newspaper Archives

The new website with the first batch of digitised newspapers is due to go live next week. Some people have been able to beta test the site (Me, me they picked me!!!) and I have to say that it is going to be such an enormous help to people in their research.
    I have not been fortunate enough to go to Colindale, which is where the British LIbrary Newspaper Library is kept so I can only imagine what it must be like to search through all the newspapers.
    Searching the digital stuff is sooo exciting. Trust me, I have just spent three hours looking for my actors and I am delighted to say that The Era is in the first batch of pages along with papers like the Sunderland Echo and Shipping Gazette, The Manchester Evening News, Nottingham evening Post, Belfast newsletter, Freemans Journal,
    It has thrown up a mystery for me (nothing unusual with my ancestors)
    On Saturday 8th December 1894 the Manchester Evening News carried this story
    Harriet Guilfoyle Seymour aged 14, whose parents reside in Halley Street, Greenheys, left home on Thursday afternoon. the girl is of stout build, has short hair and large dark eyes. She was wearing a Tam-o-shanter, black and white check coat, old grey working dress and low lace-up shoes. The mother mentioned this to Mr R. A. Armitage at the City Police Court this morning and the applicant was referred to the press representatives.
    please note the address in this first article and the length of time between her leaving and the mother "mentioning" it at the City police court.
    On Friday 14th December 1894 the Manchester Evening News carried this story
    Mysterious disappearance of a girl
    A girl ages 14, named Harriet Guilfoyle Seymour is missing from her home in Craven Street, Chorlton-on-Medlock. She is 4ft 6ins in height and has a round face, brown eyes and dark hair, cut short. At the time of her disappearance she was wearing a grey dress, check ulster and Tam-o-Shanter hat. Her parents would be glad to receive notice of her whereabouts

see the address? well thanks to the expert researches of Jellylegs I know that Harriet was living at Craven Street in the 1891 census with her siblings and a housekeeper. Her mother was in Liverpool in a boarding house. So why does the first story say the parents were residing in Greenheys? I know she was found or came back because I have information from other sources that tell me she was with her mother in Newport in 1905 so she wasn't murdered or anything I am just curious now.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

LittleMissP

That is fantastic news, so exciting. Keep us updated with progress on your new mystery

Knowledgeable and helpful

This news is far more exciting than the release of Apple's latest iPhone -- thanks Ladykis

Famous for offering help & advice

I have also had a very quick look - found a bit of illegal fishing at Stratford on Avon and a fine of 2s 6d for breach of peace at Carronshore Stirlingshire - can see loads more but am going to wait til the site goes live and have a whole day. Its going to be genealogical heaven!!

Starting to feel at home

This does sound very good and maybe I am missing something but when it goes 'live' next week? where do I find it? what can I expect? and will I have to pay?

Thanks

Royw

Jan1954

Hello Roy,

This is the website: https://
    newspapers.bl.uk/blcs/ and yes, there is a subscription, although it seems that there is a free option as well, but without the full access. Visit the website and have a read.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

RoyW (and Jan)

When it goes live, it will be here
    www.
    britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/index.php

And yes, we will all have to pay. As far as I can see the full price schedule has not yet been revealed.

Starting to feel at home

I have had a very quick look around the site and agree it looks as if it will be worth searching, I have bookmarked the site
    Roy

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

If anyone in the UK is up early enough (i.e. 6am) then switch on BBC Breakfast because it's (or at least part of it) is coming from the British Newspaper Library at Colindale, and you'll be able to see the scanning team at work preparing stuff for the website.
    And the website goes live today as well.
    https://www.
    britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

(Make that 'the website is now live' - I've just checked. )

Pam

Jan1954

Although up in time to watch the programme, I do not have a television and so missed it.

However, I have copped a brief varda at the website and can see me revelling in the pages for hours. Pity that I have to wait until I come back from work.....

Thank you, Pam for the heads-up.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast