Thread: Samuel Cole

bsage760

Default Samuel Cole

Searching for information regarding Samuel Cole born in/around Treforce about 1827 married to Margaret (no maiden name) 1850 presumably at St. Twyllins. Their children included my husband's direct ancestor Ruth Cole who may have been baptised at same.

Jan1954

Hello bsage760 - welcome to Brit-Gen

If you obtain a copy of Ruth's birth certificate, it should confirm the maiden name of her mother. That way, the marriage of Samuel Cole in the December quarter of 1850 in Pembroke registration district (volume 26, page 1151) would be confirmed that he married Margaret Raymond. Pembrokeshire registration district covers St. Twynnells.

If you are not sure as to how to order a copy of the certificate, please ask.

Meanwhile, I shall move this post over to the Pembrokeshire forum so as to attract the attention of those members who have a knowledge of the area.

pennydog

Family Search has a baptism of Ruth Cole, daughter of Samuel and Margaret Cole 17/6/1866 at St Nicholas, Monkton, Pembroke.

Could she be your lady?

pennydog

Family search also has Abraham Cole son of Samuel Cole and Margaret Raymond baptised 1/5/1870 at St Nicholas, Monkton and

Joshua Cole son of Samuel and Margaret baptised 7/8/1868 Manorbier, Pembroke.

PS - welcome to the forum too.
    Last edited by pennydog; 16-07-2012 at 8:45 PM. Reason: added welcome

bsage760

Red face thanks

Thank you so much for your information. I will follow up.

Hello bsage760 - welcome to Brit-Gen

If you obtain a copy of Ruth's birth certificate, it should confirm the maiden name of her mother. That way, the marriage of Samuel Cole in the December quarter of 1850 in Pembroke registration district (volume 26, page 1151) would be confirmed that he married Margaret Raymond. Pembrokeshire registration district covers St. Twynnells.

If you are not sure as to how to order a copy of the certificate, please ask.

Meanwhile, I shall move this post over to the Pembrokeshire forum so as to attract the attention of those members who have a knowledge of the area.

bsage760

Thank you so much. I believe that she is the same lady. Ruth Sage (nee Cole) lists her birthplace as Monkton in later census records. Your information is much appreciated.

bsage760

Thank you pennydog for the welcome and the information. It is quite useful.

bsage760

Much appreciated. I will follow up. My husband will be thrilled.

Orielbenfro

Default Coles of Pembrokeshire

Quote Originally Posted by bsage760 View Post
    Searching for information regarding Samuel Cole born in/around Treforce about 1827 married to Margaret (no maiden name) 1850 presumably at St. Twyllins. Their children included my husband's direct ancestor Ruth Cole who may have been baptised at same.
    I presume your interest lies in Samuel Cole living at 8 Banwell Street Clase, Glamorgan and Ruth Cole born in one of the parishes and chapels covered by the Pembroke Registration District in the 2nd Qtr of 1866, also the mrge as previous suggested of Samuel Cole to Margaret Raymond in 4th Qtr of 1850.
    Certificates of both can be obtained via the G.R.O., details of whom can be found on the likes of ;
    Free BMD.org.uk

Or you can contact Haverfordwest Registry Office via the P.C.C., details can be found at ;

https://www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/cont...6547&Language=

Remember do not confuse Birth and Death certificates with Parish Baptism and burial entries.

Neither Samuel or Margaret nor Ruth where baptized at St Twynnells, an abbreviated parish register listing can be seen at ;
    https://www.revjones.fsnet.co.uk/stac...g/register.htm

I think that Margaret Raymond was baptized at Pwllcrochan in 1831. If I am right then she was baptized 20 Mar 1831 at Pwllcrochan to John & Mary Raymond.

John Raymond a Tailor Rhoscrowther mrd Mary Evans at Rhoscrowther 23 Jul 1820 and may well be related to George Raymond of Monkton who mrd Jane Jones at Rhoscrowther 07 May 1831.

Remember there are no parents names shown on parish mrge entries pre the intro of Civil Registration in Sept 1837.

I can find no reference to the baptism of a Samuel Cole anywhere in any of the surrounding parishes 1820 to 1830, so to make headway one will need to see his mrge certificate to Margaret, and from there it should be possible to establish Samuel’s parents mrge.

It is possible that Samuel was N-C in which case, whilst his parents mrge in established church may be found his chapel baptism will be extremely hard if not impossible to establish.

I have the pleasure of residing not far from St Twynnells.

Rgds
    Orielbenfro