Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi,

I've not been able to locate William and Louisa Wells in 1880, so cannot tell if Harvey A Wells in 1880 occ clerk is the same or not.
    The burial register for Harry A Wells has his buriel Eurika Kansas, but the Cemetery inventory has him buried Salt Lake City Cemetary name Harry A Kansas Wells.

William Wells married Louisa Roderick 4 Jul 1852, Coshocton.
    Julie

Tinker

Having mentioned Alf Newton's possible foray into comic art on here, I thought I'd see if there was any new info on 'Newton H. Alfred,' on the Net since I last looked. There was, and he's clearly not my man (boohoo). The illustrator chappie was born in Attleboro City, Massachusetts in Feb 1900, and died in New York in 1956. Ah, well!

Tinker

Oops, we crossed posts, Julie! The burial reg and cemetery inventory details are a bit confusing, but I would take a bet that it's probably the same man. As Emma married husband no. 2 in Utah, perhaps Harry/Harvey was buried in the family plot in Eureka but she had a memorial put up in the cemetery at Salt Lake??? Thanks for William and Louisa's marriage details.

pippycat

Right then Tinker, I thought I had my head on straight, till I tried to view some images on A* - IF the image decides to appear it vanishes when I zoom in to enlarge it...tis not my day!

Given up trying now, so here are the ones I found for Zoe earlier today:

Border Crosssing from US to Canada 1908-1935

Zoe Newton c1883 Kansas housewife
    from Oregon to white Rock, British Columbia 18 Feb 1917
    travelling by GNR to husband.

This could be her return journey:

Seattle passenger list 1882-1957

Zoe Newton b1883 USA
    depart Vancouver, BC to Seattle, Washington arrival date: July 1918

This may/may not answer the question (thread #30) as to where in Kansas Zoe was born:

California passenger list 1882-1957

Zoe Newton b1882 Fort Scot Kansas
    Certificate of naturalization Apr 17 1925 Los Angeles
    address: Alice Apartments, Oakland, CA

(about 5 miles from death place of Alameda)

Very suspect, I'm really unsure about this one - did naturalization occur between US States?
    I wouldn't have thought so, but I do not know and we need expert help/advice on this.

I found the following, you can decide if its of any use!

From Buffalo, NY Evening Courier (or Republic) newspaper dated 9 Sept 1880

Title: Knights of the Rail
    Eight Annual Meeting of railway travelling passengers and advertising agents.

listed amongst the names:

H A Wells, New York
    Eastern passenger Agent Ohio and Mississippi Railway...no more info.

I couldn't find William and Louisa in 1880 either!

Rebecca

Tinker

In the cold light of day I realised that the Harry A who was buried in Eureka isn't likely to be the same person as the Salt Lake Cemetery man, if he'd moved to Marysville in Miami County by the date of his marriage.

Rebecca, the info you found on Zoe's naturalization record about Fort Scott is interesting. It's due east in an almost straight line from Eureka, in Bourbon County. Highway 54 neatly links the two places today, though that probably wasn't the case in the 1880s. Barb may be able to enlighten us as to why Zoe was naturalized if she was U.S born...if anything it was her husband that should have had naturalization papers seeing he was British-born! I'll explore all that info later today, when I get a quiet moment. I tried tracing various siblings of William and Louisa's Harvey through later years, last night, but had no joy.

pippycat

Im glad you think the Harry Eureka and Harry Salt Lake aren't the same person - I agree, just didn't like to throw a spanner into the works!

That William J and Louisa don't want to be found do they?!

Rebecca

Tinker

No they don't, and it's really annoying. Even a sighting of them in 1870 would do!

I found a really helpful map of the Kansas counties earlier this morning: Bourbon county is south of Miami county and east of Greenwood. H.A and Emma would have had to travel south through Linn county. They really moved around, didn't they?

bamagirl

Hi, All.

My this thread has so much info now, I'm having trouble keeping it all straight.

I honestly don't know why Zoe, if US born, would have a naturalization record of her own. Kansas was a state in the U.S. when she was born. Have we established the paper trail for her husband? Where were they married? I need to do some checking for that time frame, but I believe that her citizenship along with their marriage is grounds for him to become naturalized after only a few formalities.

Do you have any specific "action items" for me? If so I'll add them to my to-do list.

Like you, I have real life obligations - though I'd much rather hang out here!

-Barb

Tinker

Thanks, Barb. At this stage I don't think so, to be honest. Zoe's 'naturalization' is a side issue really, though it would be interesting to find out why she had the certificate, and why it was mentioned on passenger list details, in the first place. Perhaps the cert was actually Alfred's and she was just named on it, being as she was his wife? She and Alfred married in Seattle, King County, Washington, but ended up in California.

The good news is that I have managed to find William and Louisa in the 1870 census eventually, and the reason why they were so elusive is because his age is given as 24 on the transcription. The numbers have a line scored through them so it's difficult to read them. Harvey is still with them in Champaign, Illinois. (FamilySearch, I've discovered, doesn't have the 1880 census returns for Kansas, which is why nothing has popped up when I've searched.) There are Kansas State census records as opposed to Federal ones, for 1875 and 1885, but they're on Ancestry apparently, so I can't access those. If Harvey's our man, he must have moved to Kansas sometime between 1870 and 1879, presumably, either on his own or with the parents.

I've also managed (finally) to find the original image of Emma and H.A.'s marriage license. It doesn't give us any useful clues to H.A.'s identity, but it does at least tell us the happy couple were married in Spring Hill on the same day the license was issued, by clergyman A.M. Raynolds. Actually, there's a thought: I wonder if there are details of husband no.1 on Emma's second marriage license? Might be worth a look.

bamagirl

The US Citizenship and Immigration Service in now part of Homeland Security. In 2008 they started a Genealogy Department where one can spend 20 USD just to research an index.

Anyway, poking around their site I found this:
    https://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00082ca60aRCRD

It has a table of sub-categories of C-certificates. B-Repatriation/Resumption looks plausible. From the border crossing info from Rebecca I'm thinking that Zoe and her husband went to Canada perhaps so he could help the war effort. The US was tardy to participate, after all. If he was still a British citizen, he may have even been compelled somehow. Zoe may have been expected to renounce her US citizenship, or the US gov't may have wanted her to take the oath of allegiance. Women got the right to vote in the US in 1920. This may have been part of the process so she could register to vote. This is all speculation on my part, of course.

Do we have a military record for Zoe's hubby?

Rebecca, are there any clues on the naturalization record as to what type it is?

Muddying the waters or thickening the plot? What do you think?

-Barb

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast