Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Harry A Wells was buried Eurika Kansas.
    Julie

bamagirl

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post
    Im pleading the 5th amendment just now!
    Well if you have to plead the 5th, then you probably ARE having fun... Hey Wait! do you even have a 5th amendment where you live?

pippycat

No, but I lived in California for years and picked it up from there!

pippycat

Tinker

Do you know where/when Albert Herbert Newton was born? have you any info for him?

Rebecca

pippycat

Above question still applies..mostly wanted an area in uk for Mr Newton.

Think I've cracked your mystery HA Wells (in part!)

1920 US Federal census - Seattle City on 5 Jan 1920

Zoe Newton b1883 Kansas housewife
    home in 1920: King County, Seattle, Washington
    white female, married.
    father born Ohio
    mother born Iowa

husband:Alfred H Newton b England Com.Traveller (wheat company)
    his father and mother both born England.

Also this death for Zoe:

Zoe Newton (Zoe Wells)
    b 23 Oct 1882 Kansas
    death: 2 June 1959 Alameda, California
    father: Wells

I dont have time now to list them, (will later) but Zoe made a few journeys - Oregon/British Columbia/Seattle/California in her time!
    - maybe because Alfred was a commercial traveller?

Still dont know what the H stands for though!

back later...

Rebecca

Tinker

Real life called: bill paying and shopping...urrgh. You have all been busy, while I've been out and about!

Julie, it's looking more and more like the Harry A. Wells who died in Utah in 1889 is the same person as Harvey Wells, born Ohio. The parents' details certainly match up with the census returns, as does his place and approximate year of birth. Is Harvey still with mum and dad in Illinois, in 1880, or is he the clerk living in Eureka, Greenwood, in that year? (Emma's family were in Marysville, Miami, then.) If the latter, then it's certainly possible for him to have married Emma in December of that year, in Spring Hill, Miami. The mystery is how and where they met between the census and the end of the year, and why they ended up in Utah. The females in Emma's family all seemed to be teachers at some point, which may go some of the way to explain why Emma might have been in Spring Hill then, but not Harvey/Harry. I think I need to go off and find a detailed map, shortly.

Rebecca, I do have a fair bit of info for Alfred, although I didn't know he travelled for a wheat company! We think he may also have worked as an author/illustrator for various pulp magazines, using the names 'Newton H. Alfred' and 'Newt Alfred,' in the 1940s, although I've not found any cast iron proof that it was definitely him, yet. Some of Zoe's travels may well have been to visit her mother and half-sister, who lived in various parts of California between 1910 and 1920, and of course, she married Alfred in Seattle. Not sure about B.C and Oregon, though!

As far as the marriage details go, the only new info I have is that a marriage license was issued 30 Dec 1880, Spring Hill, so they may not actually have tied the knot on that date, after all. The details were published in one of the local papers, 10 Jan 1881, apparently.

Tinker

Forgot to answer the question about Alfred's place of birth: Islington, London, 8 Aug 1882.

Tinker

While looking for maps to clarify the proximity of the various townships, I came across a very interesting website for the Kansas Historical Society, and learned that Kansas marriage licenses were only filed as such from 1 May 1913, and birth and death records from 1 July 1911. Before May 1913 marriages are recorded in the District court in the county where the marriage took place. Unfortunately, those records that are on microfilm are only available on inter-library loan within Kansas, so no help there!

As regards the townships we're concerned with, I now know Eureka and Bachelor are side by side. Eureka appears to be the centre of local government for Greenwood county which could explain why Harvey, a clerk, was living there, rather than in Bachelor. Spring Hill is a city and is just on the northern border of Marysville township in Miami, so it's entirely possible the couple actually married in Marysville a few days after the license was issued, rather than in Spring Hill.

pippycat

Just a very quick reply Tinker,

First of all I went after the wrong man..had Mr Newton in my head thinking it was HA Wells!!

I will list that other info on Zoe's travels later on (Im in middle of cooking dinner, and it struck me I didn't get HA after all!)

As for the newspapers: on that site I mentioned before, they have lots on microfilm for Kansas and Miami county plus others. Being as your overseas and you have the exact date, they may get you a photocopy of the relevant article..if not you could try asking Barb, our pal from Alabama, if she could help you out with the inter library loan!

Rebecca

Tinker

That's o.k., Rebecca, done the same myself before, or even worse, overlooked the obvious! That's why these forums are so great. Someone else's wise words usually get me back on track! Hadn't thought about asking for a photocopy. It would be great if they would, as I might be able to get H.A's full name. Alternatively, a copy of Zoe's actual birth record would be good, as the info I have is gleaned from the death record that you also found. At the moment I don't have any idea which part of Kansas she was born in, and perhaps there will be fuller details of her father included.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast