Spinner

Default Mary Jane Reynolds nee Cunnah mystery

The above is my Great Grandmother who was born in Monk Wearmouth 1870. She married Walter Reynolds 1892. Walter died 1908. They had eight children. The children all said she died 1904. So they were fostered out to different families. They became skivvys doing all the cleaning, washing, cooking but in return they all got educated, clothed and fed.

So to my surprise when looking for another family member, she pops up on the 1911 census living in two rooms without any income with the eight children in Felling. I think what happened she couldn't cope and gave the children away to these families. Obviuosly the children was upset about this and made the death story up.

I then found a death certificate for her in 1954. Still living in Sunderland where most of her children still lived. We had visited that area for holidays. my grandparents moved to Essex.

So what happened to her between 1911 and 1954?

Can anyone help please?

David

My mother, uncles and second cousins are very upset that they had been lied to
    Last edited by Spinner; 20-03-2012 at 8:50 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Reputation beyond repute

Start with the death certificate and work backwards. Place of death and details of informant can be useful. Check what Sunderland poor law records exist and check as necessary.