Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reputation beyond repute

The name doesn't appear to be WO100 (Campaign Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1949) as indexed on Ancestry. Strange. Perhaps it's a transcription problem. It may be worth browsing if you have a sub. I would expect it to be in WO 100/54 (Afghan 1878-1890, South Africa 1879, Egypt 1882 - Royal Artillery)

Reputation beyond repute

Cancel that!. He is there on Ancestry, indexed as Charles PEYER !

Witchypoo

I will check that out now

Witchypoo

Wow yes that appears to the one ... what should be the next step how do I get the records of this. Now it has me wondering whether he did this to get money to get married

Reputation beyond repute

I don't think he would have joined the army for the money! Well, he might as an alternative to the workhouse but not with the expectation of saving any money up!

Graham said he didn't appear to be listed in WO 97. That isn't necessarily the end of it because there are other places where you may be able to find details of his service.

In order to come up with the best advice on where to look, can you tell us approximately when he left the army? You may be able to work this out from census and bmd records.

SueNSW

The info on his medal - tells us he was with C Battery 3rd Brigade (which would have been Royal Field Artillery)

If you can get to the National Archives there are pay and muster records that - using his service number - should (hopefully) allow you to work out at least his service dates

eg
    WO 16/190 Royal Artillery, 3rd Brigade A. to F. Batteries 1880-1881
    WO 16/195 Royal Artillery, 3rd Brigade C. and D. Batteries 1881-1882
    WO 16/200 Royal Artillery, 3rd Brigade C. and D. Batteries 1882-1883

and earlier - possibly

WO 12/10221 3rd Brigade Depot 1874 - 1875
    WO 12/10222 3rd Brigade Depot 1875 - 1876
    WO 12/10223 3rd Brigade Depot 1876 - 1877

Good Luck!!

SueNSW

Do you have him in the 1871 census?

There is a Driver Charles Prior - Royal Artillery - who was a 19 year old patient in The Herbert Hospital, Shooter's Hill (Woolwich) recorded (by someone with a geography problem perhaps) as born Herne Bay - Essex!!

Possibly he was in the army as early as this??

Starting to feel at home

Hello

Herne Bay is in North Kent not Essex. The Herbert Hospital may well be the large Military Hospital Shooters Hill close to the Artillery barracks at Woolwich. Unfortunately it is now converted into flats

Vossy

SueNSW

Thanks for that Vossy - knowing Herne Bay was in Kent rather than Essex - was why I suggested (tongue in cheek) that Charles was recorded in the census by someone with a geography problem

There are many pages of patients all listed in the same hand - so easy, no doubt for errors to creep in - and no doubt from all the available info that it was a military hospital at the time - and now flats

https://www.
    royalherbert.co.uk/index.php

Reputation beyond repute

can you tell us approximately when he left the army?
    Just a nudge

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast