A fountain of knowledge

Default Deciphering Army medal / Award roll

I'm just helping out a friend with looking at her grandfather's military records.

I've found him in the "UK, Military Campaign Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1949" but unsure what the info actually means.

He was awarded a medal (we think for bravery, my friend has other records referring - sort of - to the incident, with words like 'not to blame'). On the award roll under "Clasps entitled to under above army order" it says Palestine 1945-48 and IVB/65. The date under Record of Disposal of Decorations is 2/7/52.

So what does IVB/65 means and where could we find out more info? The chap was in the Royal Engineers.

We've pinned down that it's an incident that apparently happened on 25 December 1945 but unsure where (other than Palestine).

Any suggestions gratefully received, thanks!

SueNSW

My gut feeling - without being able to look at the actual page is that this was probably the award of the General Service Medal for service in the campaign in Palestine, rather than a medal for a specific act of bravery. These are generally noted on separate rolls for each medal

This web site gives some information
    https://www.
    northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/general_service_1918.htm

Not sure of the IVB/65 though - if you'd like to give the name - can look at the page and see if anything jumps out

Reputation beyond repute

You're talking about the National Archives series WO100 "Campaign Medal and Award Rolls (General Series)". You can read the description in The National Archives catalogue on line.

He was awarded a medal (we think for bravery)..
    No. These are campaign medals. Campaign medals are awarded for just being there. Medals for bravery etc are in other series.

If you provide the name we can look for ourselves and give you an opinion.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    You're talking about the National Archives series WO100 "Campaign Medal and Award Rolls (General Series)". You can read the description in The National Archives catalogue on line.

No. These are campaign medals. Campaign medals are awarded for just being there. Medals for bravery etc are in other series.

If you provide the name we can look for ourselves and give you an opinion.
    Thanks Peter. We were working on the assumption it was for bravery as there is reference to an incident/award in his service records, but the campaign medal makes sense as well. We subsequently discovered he left the army in June 1952, so thought that might be the reason for the disposal of decoration date of early July 1952?

As it's not my relative, I will ask my friend for permission before posting his name here. He has passed away, a few years ago.

Reputation beyond repute

Actually you may not need to. If you're looking at Ancestry, I see that they provide the source citation. If this is accurate, you can check the National Archives catalogue for more information.

For example if the citation says WO 100; Piece: 504., go to the National Archives catalogue

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp

In the box above the "Go to reference" button, enter WO100/504 and press the button. Then you'll see the catalogue description of the piece

General Service Medal 1918-1962: Clasp Palestine: Royal Sussex Regiment, Royal West Kent, Middlesex, King's Own, Border, Manchester, East Lancashire Regiment, South Lancashire Regiment, Loyal Regiment, Royal Northumberland Fusiliers

That's an example, yours will be different.

Reputation beyond repute

PS You only need to do that if the details aren't apparent from the image you're looking at!

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks, I'll give that a go :-)

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks, was able to find the info (you weren't far off with the reference, it was WO100/524!), and as you said it was the campaign medal, so back to the drawing board re the 'incident'.

We think it was something to do with the practice of the people in the area placing mines/bombs but not sure what exactly. I looked into this a little bit before as my granddad's nephew was killed on a train that was mined, in 1948, but need to read up a bit more.

Thanks for your help on this