Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default A new puzzle - Francis Kneebone 1861-1929

Francis was born in 1861 in Creed, Cornwall, the son of Francis and Eliza Kneebone - nee Prisk

Francis was their 1st child and the family lived in Creed where his mum and dad farmed 22 acres. Farming didn't seem to pan out and by 1871 Francis jr., his 2 younger siblings and parents had moved to Four Lanes, Gregwartha, and his father was now a Miner. Somehow, the family prospered. By 1881 Francis sr. was a self employed Grocer in Gregwartha. Francis jr. was employed as an Assistant School Teacher and his 2 siblings still lived at home.

My problem centres on the period 1881-1891 when the next census was taken. During this period, young Francis marries and fathers 2 children.

The 1891 census RG12/1846/26/16 has them living on Falmouth Road, Redruth. Here are the details:
    Francis Kneebone - married age 30 - born Creed, Cornwall
    Harriet A. Kneebone - married age 26 - born Nevada U.S.A
    Eliza Ann Kneebone - unmarried age 4 - born Nevada U.S.A.
    Ethel Pearl Kneebone - unmarried age 2 - born Nevada U.S.A

Can we track his movements between 1881 and 1891?

Colin

SueNSW

To narrow things a little Colin, 1911 shows Francis and Harriet as married 25 years - Harriet Ann's pob is shown as Austin, Nevada and Ethel Pearl's as Park City, Utah

Good Luck

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by SueNSW View Post
    To narrow things a little Colin, 1911 shows Francis and Harriet as married 25 years - Harriet Ann's pob is shown as Austin, Nevada and Ethel Pearl's as Park City, Utah

Good Luck
    Yes I have the 1911 census, the 1901 census, birth details of their children born in England as well as the deaths of Francis, Harriet and Myrtle Frances - their youngest daughter.

Francis, Harrist and Myrtle all died in Brentford between 1929 and 1937.

Myrtle Frances never married.

A Francis Kneebone, aged 22, butcher, was on the passenger list of the Oregon, arr New York 19 May 1884.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    A Francis Kneebone, aged 22, butcher, was on the passenger list of the Oregon, arr New York 19 May 1884.
    Yes Sue, I found that but to a certain extent, discounted it. 1891 - an Assitant School Teacher and 1894 - a Butcher.

Was I wrong to discount it?

Colin

Well I see he was a general labourer by 1891, so I wouldn't put too much store by the assistant teacher, and if his father was a grocer then butcher wouldn't be so far off beam....

By the way, I presumed from the census entries that the wife was born in the state of Nevada, but I wonder now if she wasn't born in Nevada County, California. There is a cemetery in Nevada County called Kneebone Cemetery with lots of Kneebones buried in it!

www.
    yubaroots.com/cemetery/knee.htm
    Sue Mackay

Colin Rowledge

Very interesting.
    The i911 census states her place of birth as Austin, Nevada and the daughter they had in Cornwall in 1902 was given the middle name Nevada.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Yes Sue, I found that but to a certain extent, discounted it. 1891 - an Assitant School Teacher and 1894 - a Butcher.

Was I wrong to discount it?

Colin
    Maybe not as it says he was born in the US.

No help but there is a Francis Kneebone on the list of England Return of Owners of Land 1873 paying 40 pounds rent on 26 acres 1 rood 23 perches at Creed

There is also a William Kneebone jnr at Paul paying rent of 14 pounds 8 shillings on 8 acres 3 roods 4 perches.

I presume they are paying rent and not renting out - it isn't precise.

OK, well Austin is in the state of Nevada so I guess Kneebone Cemetery has a different set of bones
    Sue Mackay

SueNSW

Sorry if you thought I was "teaching you to suck eggs" Colin with the 1911 info

As his wife and eldest daughter (Eliza Ann Rundle) were both recorded as born in Austin Nevada - I wondered if this could possibly be "Harriet" on the 1880 US census

Name: Hariot Moss
    Birth Year: abt 1865
    Birthplace: Nevada
    Home in 1880: Austin City, Lander, Nevada
    Race: White
    Relation to Head of House: Daughter
    Marital Status: Single
    Father's Name: Joseph Moss
    Father's Birthplace: England
    Mother's Name: Louise Moss
    Mother's Birthplace: England

Source Citation: Year: 1880; Census Place: Austin City, Lander, Nevada; Roll: 758; Family History Film: 1254758; Page: 291B; Enumeration District: 023; Image: 0591

I'm not "into" the curly American writing style - but from the original I'm not sure I would have transcribed the surname as Moss though - to my uneducated eye looks more like Mora??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast