Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hmv4u

Default England to America

hi,wondered if anyone with access to the shipping lists could look me up some names ? they are all related to the Haughton side of the family but their married names have obviously changed,the first is

Enoch Haughton-i have him arriving back into liverpool on 2nd july 1939 -his wife died in the Uk in march 1939 so between these 2 dates he went out-any info on where he went,date,ship etc ?

second is his niece Cecilia(cissy or cicely) Stansfield,she had emigrated to the USA in 1908 but came back 3 times im aware off
    '29 sept 1945 on the Queen Elizabeth a cecilia stansfield aged 43 landed going to Nesscliffe queens road Hartshill stoke-on-trent,a usa govn official ...... 1950 a cecelia stansfield aged 48, on the Queen Mary landed at southampton bound for 30 queens road hartshill ......... 25 may 1953 again on the queen elizabeth but going to 108 bucknall new road'

again im interested in where she went back to following these visits

and lastly her parents -she emigrated in 1908 on the SS Haverford from Liverpool to Potterville Pensylvania but i coudnt find her parents martha agnus Stansfield(b.1877)and her father james Stansfield(?)b.1877 on the same ship

a lot to ask but if anyones bored id appreciate the help
    thanks howie

Thomasin

Howie, I have found this:-

Enoch Haughton
    Departure 21st April 1939
    Liverpool to New York
    Calculated date of birth 1864
    Age 75
    Marital status left blank
    Retired
    Ship: Britannic
    Official number 162316
    Master's name G Gibbons

The strange thing is, that on the same page is a William Houghton (different spelling) aged 38 from London, an 'Agent'.

Thomasin

Thomasin

As for Cecilia Stansfield -

(1)
    Date of departure 10th September 1937
    Southampton to New York
    Calculated date of birth 1901
    Age 36
    Marital status blank
    Occupation Clerk
    Ship: Aquitania
    Official Number 135583
    Master's name Guy R Dolphin
    Steamship Line Cunard White Star Limited

(2)
    Date of departure 12th March 1946
    Southampton to New York
    Calculated date of birth 1902
    Age 44
    Marital status left blank
    Occupation Clerk
    Ship Gripsholm
    Master's name H Nordenson
    Steamship Line Swedish American Line

(3)
    Date of departure 4th August 1953
    Southampton to New York
    Passenger destination New York
    Calculated date of birth 1902
    Age 51
    Marital status blank
    Occupation Us Govt Emp
    Ship: Queen Mary
    Official number 164282
    Master C I Thompson
    Steamship Line Cunard White Star Ltd

Thomasin

Thomasin

I have found Martha:-

9th September 1908
    Liverpool to Philadelphia
    Age 32
    Marital status Single - but also
    Occupation Wife!
    Ship Westernland
    Official number 115352
    Master J H A Thornton
    Steamship line: American

Was James by any chance James Hampson Stansfield, and do you know of a James Warden Stansfield? They were 58 and 29 in 1935.

Thomasin

Thomasin

There is a Jas Stansfield aged 20 who travelled from Liverpool to New York in 1897 on the Britannic in company with Wm Stansfield aged 28. Both were listed as shop keepers. Please let me know if you need more information on them.

Thomasin

hmv4u

Hi Thomasin, thank you so much for your time and trouble and your quick reply ok, on to what you've found

enoch haughtons seems to tick all the boxs-i think w.houghton is probably not related -but ive said that before and been proved wrong !

cecilia obviously visited more times than i've yet found, as the dates are different but it sounds very much like her - ill have another look at incoming lists now i have these dates to work on.

martha - looking good ! she had 3 children(i know off) harold,henry and cicely and they went out nov 11th 1908 on the ss haverford with her cousin mary chrimes, so this indicates she went out first.
    The issue of her husbands name is a little confusing,according to the BMD marriage entry he's named jame e stansfield-but on the 1901 census he's called Edward Stansfield(born west brom),so altho the age fits im not sure its him.

thank you again,much appreciated as is any further info
    howie

Thomasin

Just looked for an Edward - only two. One, in 1908, is Ed J, so he's out, and the other Edw went to Quebec in 1910.

Do you know the occupation of James/Edward?

Thomasin

hmv4u

this is very kind of you - according to the 1901 census he was a bread maker/journeyman baker and having just checked the marriage in FreeBMD im pretty sure his name was james edward stansfield.
    ref cecilia -i rechecked the incoming shipping lists and found the 1937 one you pointed out-so thank you for that

i feel a bit naughty asking this but... the other shipping name i'd love to find was my g grandfather john haughton,born 1862 he emigrated to america (alone- he left his family here),his last child (my grandfather) was born 1887 and john isnt mentioned in the 1891/1901 census's but his sisters family emigrated in 1906 and he's definately mentioned in the shipping log as the USA contact in washington DC,i did have a good look in the liverpool emigration lists but never conclusively found him

thanks again howie

Thomasin

Hallo again, howie. Not naughty to ask at all, we are all happy to look things up if we have the facilities.

There is one John Haughton b. 1862 who went to Boston, but this was in 1893 and his wife Eliza was with him, so evidently not your man.

Another John Haughton, age unknown, departed on 9th September 1891 Liverpool to New York - but he was said to be a single adult.

Yet another, age unknown, 9th February 1907, Liverpool to New York, a single adult mechanic.

Then there are three more who travelled in 1908, 1910 and 1911, which are all too late for you, I suppose - but let me know if you need their details.

Thomasin

hmv4u

once again thanks for that,of them all the the best one is(by date)

'Another John Haughton, age unknown, departed on 9th September 1891 Liverpool to New York - but he was said to be a single adult.'

is there any other details on him ? home address etc ?

Howie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast