Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joseph Nunney

Spinner

Default Joseph Nunney

Hi,

I am stuck on finding details on Joseph Nunney and his wife Lucy. He was born in Burford, 1841 census but I cannot find a birth record, marriage or his parents.

Can anyone help please.

Kind Regards

David

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    He was born in Burford, 1841 census.....
    Hello David,

The 1841 census just states whether or not the person was born in the county, not an actual birthplace. Have you found Joseph and Lucy in a later census at all?

Spinner

Hi Jan,

Yes on the 1871 census they are living in Hammersmith. He has a plasterer and Lucy as a dressmaker. He states on that census he was born in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. Also his name had changed to Nunny. I have looked through the Cheltenham records and been unable to find him.

Thanks for the help,

David

Jan1954

In which year (approximately) was he born?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    I cannot find a birth record, marriage or his parents.
    According to the Oxfordshire Marriage Transcripts, 1538-1837 (still available on the IGI, at the old FamilySearch site), Jos NUNNEY married Lucy WATTS at Burford in 1835.

That would be a good fit with the large number of children's baptisms at Burford, indexed on the new FamilySearch site, beginning with Sarah Ann NUNNEY in 1837.

You will not get parents' names from the marriage record, but there should be a couple of witnesses, who may be relatives. The Oxfordshire History Centre will send you a printout from the microfilm of the marriage register.

https://www.
    oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/content/copies-photographs-and-forms

Jan1954

According to Family Search, there is a marriage between a Jos Nunney and a Lucy Watts in 1835 in Burford.

This is a record extracted from the Oxfordshire Marriage Transcripts, 1538-1837, compiled by J. S. W. Gibson. It could well be a good idea to lay your hands on a copy of the parish records to see what further details there are, such as the actual date and if any witness names are familiar.

Marriages often (but not always) took place in the bride's home parish, so a check through the PRs for Lucy's baptism might also help.

(Aha! Kerrywood beat me to it!)

Reputation beyond repute

If I were you I would get a birth certificate to verify the mother's maiden name

Births Dec 1846
    Nunney Alice Witney 16 124

I think that's one of theirs.

Coromandel

I hope to fit in a visit to Witney library tomorrow, and could check the Burford parish register transcripts for you there, if that helps.

Spinner

Thanks for your help everybody.

David

Coromandel

According to the Oxfordshire FHS transcript of Burford parish registers, Jos. Nunney (bachelor) and Lucy Watts (spinster), both of this parish, were married by banns on 5 September 1835. The witnesses were Chas. Nunney and Ann Nunney (who made her mark). (N.B. Many of the forenames in the transcript are given in abbreviated form; they may be written out in full in the original register.)

There are baptisms in the Burford registers for children of Joseph & Lucy. There are many other Nunneys/Nunnys in the Burford parish registers going back a long way. It may well be that your Joseph had roots in Burford even if he was born elsewhere, so I would recommend getting hold of a copy of the parish register transcript.

I had hoped that the Charles Nunney who was a witness at Joseph's wedding might have been a brother, and that he might have been the same Charles who married at Burford a couple of years later (11 October 1837). He was then a 22 year old slater and plaisterer, and his bride was Sar[ah] Whiting. As we are now in the era of civil registration, the register gives more detail and tells us the name and occupation of his father: Jas. Nunney, slaterer and plaisterer (the transcriber has abbreviated all common first names; presumably this is James Nunney). The witnesses at Charles & Sarah's wedding were Jn [John] Baughan Nunney and Eliz. Lindsay who I think went on to marry later.

There are transcripts of some Nunney wills on the Oxfordshire FHS website, at

wills.oxfordshirefhs.org.uk/index.html

from which it appears that John Baughan Nunney, Charles Nunney and a William Nunney were the sons of James Nunney, slater/plasterer. All three are mentioned in his will (dated 1826 and proved 1830) and two of them in the will of James' widow Charlotte Nunney (will dated 1851, proved 1866). Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any mention of a Joseph so we're none the wiser as to where he fits in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast