DavyTee

Default Frederick George Humphrey

Frederick George Humphrey was born illegitimite on the 1/12/1909 to a Emma Humphrey a general servant living at 27 Prosprect Terrace Bethnal Green London.

He was born at Queen Charlottes Hospital which at the time was on Marylebone Road i think.
    I believe he was then put into an orphange on Bonner Road, Bethnal Green at birth.

I need help to trace what happened to Emma Humphrey. I do not know her D.O.B but am guessing she was young.

I have found a Emma Humphrey who had an older sister who was a servant and the daughter of Frederick Humphrey on the 1901 census living in Lewisham and then found a Emma Humphrey aged abt 21 as a Servant in the 1911 census.

Any help tracing Emma would be most welcome as i cant work out if this is my Emma that i have found.

Thanks in advance

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by DavyTee View Post
    He was born at Queen Charlottes Hospital
    i cant work out if this is my Emma that i have found.
    I think you need to see the records for Queen Charlotte's. That is probably the only way to track the right Emma.

The records are held at London Metropolitan Archives.
    H27/QC/B/01/014
    Register of in-patients
    1909-1911
    "Most of this series details the name of the patient, residence, age, marital status, previous number of pregnancies, time of delivery and admission, presentation, how delivered, date of discharge, state of mother on discharge, details of child."

Under the 100-year rule the above volume should now be accessible. But if not, the LMA staff will extract the relevant data on your behalf.
    [email protected]

I believe he was then put into an orphange on Bonner Road, Bethnal Green at birth.
    Which orphanage? If you mean The Children's Home in Bonner Road, the records are now with NCH Action for Children, who will supply copies in certain circumstances. Please see here ...
    www.
    actionforchildren.org.uk/our-services/adoption-fostering-and-children-in-care/records-and-support

DavyTee

Thanks for your help i shall try both

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Davy

Yes it may be good to try Queen Charlottes Hospital. The 1901 Emma seems likely as she was the daughter of a Frederick. There is a chance that she married at a later date after 1909.

Ben

DavyTee

Thanks Benny,

i just rang LMA and they said although they hold information for Queen Charlottes it would be very limited to what info they would have on Fredericks Mother Emma, so i think the Action for children will be the best route.

Im not sure what the childrens home on Bonner Road Bethnal Green was called though any ideas anyone ?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Im not sure what the childrens home on Bonner Road Bethnal Green was called though any ideas anyone ?
    Almost certainly the Bonner Road Children's Home and Orphanage.

Photo here
    https://
    website.lineone.net/~ken_goldfinch/bonner%202%28l%29.jpg

History here
    www.
    actionforchildren.org.uk/about-us/our-history/celebrating-140-years