lynnegreen05

Question Kangol Factory Mill St Cleator

Help please???

My ancestors lived in Mill Street and around Cleator and most are buried at St Marys Church and St Leonards and we know they worked at the Kangol Factory at the bottom of Mill st. We went to find it and it mostly derelict now with newer factory further on the site/area. Does anyone know if there are factory records held from the original factory - or does anyone have any pictures or connections to the original factory??
    Thanks
    Lynne

Jan1954

Hello Lynne,

According to TNA's Access to Archives, there appears to be some correspondence held by the West Yorkshire Archives Service. Might be worth contacting them to see what else they might have.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Is this the factory you're interested in?

flickr.com/photos/horrgakx/sets/72157609140220189/
    Browneyes

safetyman

Hello Lynne,
    Kangol have a factory at Cleator mill, Cleator. Telephone no. is 01946810312. Why not try there?
    Regards, Frank

BeeE586

Don't know anything about the factory but do remember the Kangol beret, a bit like an ordinary beret but with a sort of stiffened peak. I had several and wore them during the war when hats were virtually impossible to get and no decent woman would be seen out of doors without some sort of head covering.

Eileen

bob graham

Question

I know the al(zeimers)(cohol) are taking extreme effects but I seem to remember a picture of mill st appearing somewhere on a forum not long ago. I bet if you googled "mill st cleator", you might find that thread (unless it was you that started it of course).
    bob

lynnegreen05

Default Re Kangol Factory/Mill St and Charlie Cross?

Thanks everyone for your help
    Yes that is the one. Cheers will try them direct and see if they have any old employee lists.

I have just found 12 of my relatives living at Mill St in Cleator on the 1911census - that would have been crowded they were only tiny cottages for the mill workers. There is a Charlie Cross living with them - Can anyone claim him?
    Thanks again
    Lynne

pammy1

Hi Lynne

I myself lived in Mill street Cleator and have relatives recorded on the 1911 census living in no. 12 and on that night Charlie Cross was a guest
    Pammy

lynnegreen05

Hi Pammy
    apologies for the late reply..still researching the Cleator ancestry and recently visited the area and found lots of fabulous family history information in the family tree. How are you related? Would love to hear from you. Lynne