Thread: Trustees?

DianaCanada

Default Trustees?

Found this reference in the London Gazette of 13 Nov 1844 concerning the building of the railway in Yorkshire - "...and parish of Bridlington, belonging to the trustees of the late Thomas Ford, and in the occupation of George Gray, and passing from, through, or into the townships...."

Thomas was my ancestor and wondering if this means he owned land (he died in 1828) and shouldn't there be a will listed on the UK Archives site?
    Thanks for any help, Diana.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by DianaCanada View Post
    Thomas was my ancestor and wondering if this means he owned land (he died in 1828) and shouldn't there be a will listed on the UK Archives site?
    Hi Diana

There are a number of different places to look for pre-1858 wills. The ones at the National Archives are those proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury (there are copies of the wills and/or indexes on a number of other sites too), and while they do include many wills from all over the country, the most wills were proved in local courts. These were overseen by the local bishop or other diocesan officials, and in most dioceses there were a number of courts with jurisdiction over different parts of the diocese. (This is a bit of a simplified description, but it covers the majority of cases.)

Wills proved in York are at the Borthwick Institute, part of the University of York, and details of their copying service are at www.
    york.ac.uk/library/borthwick/copying/remote-copy-services/
    (This page also mentions that the index is available at British Origins, where you have to pay to see the data; however, it's also available on film through the LDS.)
    In this case, since you have fairly strong evidence that there was a will, you might be able to contact the Borthwick directly with the information you have and ask them to check for you.

Arthur

DianaCanada

Thank you Arthur for the useful information - I will look into that - would be very pleased to find a will for Thomas. I happened to find his death announcement on the British Libraries Newspaper site and am waiting for the death certificate for his wife Ann. Expanding the tree!