DianaCanada

Default Synocha Hydrothorax

Received a death certificate for an ancestor yesterday - she died in 1850, age 59, of synocha hydrothorax. Anyone have a clue about what this might be? I had no success with googling, think maybe synocha is fever?
    Any help appreciated.

glynisaddy

hi
    sorry had no luck with the first word,hydrothorax is leakage of fluid into the pleural cavity of the lungs associated with cirrhosis of the liver,synocha may mean some form of breathlessness or blueness due to lack of oxygen.pyrexia is the medical term for fever.sorry i couldn't be of more help.

DianaCanada

Thanks for your help!

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by DianaCanada View Post
    I had no success with googling, think maybe synocha is fever?
    Yes - according to Biology Online, which led me through to synochus:
    A continuous fever.
    Synocha and synochus were used as epithets of two distinct types of fever, but in different senses at different periods. The same disease is placed under synocha by one author, under synochus by another.

Origin: NL, from Gr. Joined together.

I have a dictionary of old medical terms and with hydrothorax, it refers me to Dropsy, which is defined thus: It is a contraction of the word hydropsy, which means oedema (fluid retention), often due to heart failure or kidney failure.

DianaCanada

Thanks Jan, very helpful. Most likely whatever she had could be treated today!