Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    nataliew

Default st pancras hosp for children

Does anyone know which hospital in the district of st pancras would have treated a newborn baby in 1921? There is a baby on a branch of my tree who is born in Epping and dies within 3 months - the registration is in st pancras so i assume that's where the hospital is.
    I know I could solve this by ordering the death certificate but it's not a major family for me to pursue. Just wondering what more I can find out...

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Do you know that the baby was treated in a Hospital?

I googled "Hospitals in Epping uk 1921" & quite a few answers popped up.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

What makes you convinced that the St Pancras registration belongs to your family baby?
    Unless the name is very unusual you'll be surprised just how many people of a similar age, living not too far away, have the same name. I thought I'd found my great granny's death - right age, right district, wrong Rebecca. Mine died nine years later.

I'll admit to knowing zilch about medical practices, but I would have thought it highly unlikely in those days that a baby would have moved hospitals, unless the parents actually moved from Epping to the St Pancras district to live. Do you know if they did?
    Pam

nataliew

I don't know for sure that the baby was in hospital. But I'm convinced the St Pancras registered death is for this baby. It's the right full name and no-one descended from that branch of the family (including what would have been her younger sister by 15 months) knew of her existence until I came across her (I'm sure she is a child of the parents - mother's surname fairly unusual) - so I realised she must have died in infancy. The birth is registered in Epping in July-Sept quarter and the death in Sept in St Pancras.
    Also, I'm pretty sure the family didn't move - everything before is Epping and the baby born 15 months later is there. Also, the relatives I'm in touch with say the parents never moved.
    I know I'm trying to cut corners a little - guess the price of death certs now is making me look for other options!

Mutley

I know there was a Hampstead Children's Hospital, may have come under St. Pancras also the Royal Free at Holborn.

Genuki may give you the registration districts.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/ might be worth having a search around.

But you will only be guessing without that certificate.

Good Luck

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have you tried checkiing the London Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 ? It may have a lucky find.

Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Jeuel

Well the baby might have died while its mother was visiting relatives - without knowing what it died of, you can't know if it was likely to have hospital treatment. But the obvious one is the Royal Free Hospital, which used to be in Gray's Inn Road. My husband had a gt aunt who died there in 1911. Her father ran the Pakenham Arms pub in St Pancras.

https://www.royalfree.nhs.uk/default....=34&tab_id=124 is a link to info about the hospital's archives.

plumtreed

Hello Natalie,

There are some other hospitals in this area : St.Pancras Hospital which used to have a longer name - I think it was St Pancras Hospital for Infectious Diseases and it became part of University College Hospital. And there was another place, the National Temperance Hospital on Euston Road which is only round the corner and became part of UCH in about 1968 and down the road, off Gower Street, was another place, I think it was called the Hunter street hospital next door to UCH and it covered obstetrics, premature babies etc. and came under the UCH group.
    In this same area there used to be (in the Sixties)the Homeopathic hospital, Elizabeth Garrett Anderson for Women and even the Middlesex would probably come under St Pancras registration. But this is a long way from Epping; perhaps the first move is to establish the boundaries for the StP.district and that would give us a better idea of the catchment. Hope this helps, Mary

nataliew

Thanks for this. I really am going to have to order the death cert aren't I?! Looking back, I'm not sure what I hoped to achieve without it! As I said, it's not an important branch for me but I think when I come across an infant death, I feel very emotional. My own daughter spent the 1st few weeks of her life in an incubator and doing family history makes me realise how lucky I am to have have her..

JenniLl

Great Ormond Street and the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital (London Branch) are possibilities. The former being more likely if the child had a major problem.
    Will be interesting to learn the result when you get the certificate.

Jenni

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast