I lie. I lie.

Suddenly remembered that I have a sub to World Vital Records who have loads of worldwide newspapers, and I have struck gold.

Well, sort of, anyway.

The British Banner, dated 27 June 1849, page 4, columns 3 &4

Headed The British Colonies
Australian Colonization
The Ship Lima
To the editor of the British Banner

Too much to copy here, but it begins:
The emigrants by this vessel (for Moreton Bay, Coolksland, Australia) having been mustered on board at (Gravesend, by Lieutenant Lean, R N , on the evening of Thursday last, the Rev. Dr. Lang, accompanied by J. H. Arnold, Esq., of Clement's-lane, and a small party of friends from London, went on board on Friday evening, to deliver a parting address to the emigrants.
The evening was one of the finest imaginable; the midsummer sun descending slowly in the west, and the ship, a remarkably beautiful Scotch-built vessel, resting like a sea bird asleep on the glassy water. It was just such an evening as one would have selected for such an occasion out of a whole summer.

It then goes on to mention the Captain Yule and the surgeon-superintendent Dr Wilkinson and the fact that there were 110 emigrants on board.
It then gives details of the service and the address by Dr Lang. Part of the address was

" My friend, Mr. Samuel Baker, who has already had much experience in conducting the public ministrations
of religion, will discharge the duties of chaplain and school-master during the voyage, conducting Divine
service twice every Lord's-day, and presiding at evening prayers whenever the weather may permit ; and I trust that a Committee will be formed from among yourselves to assist and support Mr. Baker in the discharge
of these important duties."

Hopefully someone can find a more 'local' paper giving details of Samuel's family emigrating.

Pam