Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loose

JJOP

Question Loose

Is there any one out there who can help on information re a very elusive Florence Loose; All I have is a birth certificate for my mother (deceased) which has" father Arthur Spencer Harvey 34years,born Nelson, N.Z. and mother Florence Harvey formerly Loose 22 years, born Brancaster Staithe England, Year of marriage 1911. My mother was born on 3/11/1912 in Adelaide. Their apparently is no record of a marriage in Adelaide. Death of Florence was definitely in Adelaide, but there is no record under her married name ( alias deHarvie). I did not think to check under maiden name, or maybe a defacto "Back" The death would have occured about 1928/1929 when my mum was 16.

Is this the Florence who was with her family in 1901 census in Brancaster Staithe, Brancaster?

RG13/1880 Folio 90 page 14.

Henry head 57 fisherman, wife Christina 54, Rose 17, Arthur 16, Ernest 15, Bernard 12, Ethel 10, Florence 8. All born Staithe

This is an interesting page as at the top is a Harvey family and at the bottom of the page another Loose family the head of which is Selina? Loose widow 79 and a grandson William is also a fisherman.
    Also on the previous page another Loose family also fishermen.

If this is your Florence then she lied about her age when she married Arthur. She would have been 17/18.
    I wonder when and with whom she sailed to Australia. Or did she, like me, go to NZ and then Australia
    Christina

JJOP

I saw that on ancestry & originally disregarded it because of the age, then thought maybe? but am beginning to think maybe. I have found a photo of a group of houses, with the names C Winterbones, E Winterbones,Harry Loose, my house, Wm Loose written in ink above each house.On the back is written in ink "the "green" & in pencil "my mother lived here before coming to Adelaide to live with an Auntie also Edna sister to Florence"(this is in my mother's hand writing, but the words "the green" I'm not sure about). I have seen on the census forms that lots of Looses lived on "The Green".

JJOP

I have found a reference to a Florence Loose emigrating to Australia on the ship Geelong,departing London 2March 1909, age 21; port at which Passengers have contracted to land: Adelaide. The timing and age could be correct. No other Looses or Harvey on the same page.Her contract ticket number is 300, directly underneath is a Chas D Ball, engineer, ticket no 366 ( Harvey was allegedly"" a mining expert". These are the only records of a Florence that I've been able to locate so far.

Hi again
    I did a quick search of the 1881/91 census records and couldn't find an Edna Loose who your mum says was her sister and was already in Austrlai with an aunt. In fact the only birth of an Edna Loose on FreeBMD was in 1911 reg district Docking and mother's maiden name Mitchell.
    Of course FBMD is not complete but the census records for and Edna Loose back this up.
    I wonder if your mum could have meant her mother's sister Ethel who was 2 years older than Florence or Emily b 1877 who appears on the 1891 census with Henry and Christina (and various other spellings) and John b1879 and Henry b1881.
    Harry Loose in the photo could be Henry brother of Florence.
    I can't help you with your research in SA as I am not familiar with what is available. The only experience I have had is with NSW and at least their BMD's are on line.
    Did you find a death for Arthur Spencer Harvey at all?
    I'm sorry I am not really much help but because your information is from your mother's birth certificate I would say that you are on the right track with the Florence we both found even though the age is a few years out.
    There are only 4/5 Florence Loose's in the census 1861 to 1901 and only one in the correct place and time .
    Good luck with it
    Christina

JJOP

Thanks so much Christina; not much info makes things difficult doesn't it? Mum was always told her father died in WW1, but there seems to be no trace of him in records, either in Aus or N.Z., but that sounds better than a disappearing husband doesn't it?
    Jenny

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JJOP View Post
    Thanks so much Christina; not much info makes things difficult doesn't it? Mum was always told her father died in WW1, but there seems to be no trace of him in records, either in Aus or N.Z., but that sounds better than a disappearing husband doesn't it?
    Jenny
    Hi JJOP

FOUND HIM

HARVEY Arthur : Service Number - 2257 : Place of Birth - Takaka NZ : Place of Enlistment - Perth WA : Next of Kin - (Wife) HARVEY Florence

A letter in the file from Charles Harvey Johnson ( a nephew) gives his full name - middle name Spencer - this fellow wished to claim his medals in 1967. It states that Arthur died in England 8 Nov 1924. There is a large file digitalized online - his middle name also appears in files too, so I do not know why it is not in the index entry.

He was a Mining Manager when enlisted in 1914, almost 37yrs old. His home address was then Adelaide, SA. Another attestation in 1915 has them in WA.

He was discharged in London in 1916 (or 1917)- he must never have come back. His intended place of residence was South Africa - he was a mining engineer. He was medically unfit to serve after being wounded in Egypt. He has a reference to the Boer War in the marks on his body - scar of a bullet wound in the thigh. Also had NZ silver fern tattooed on his arm.

In 1920 his address was Gillingham, Kent.

In 1915 a telegram was sent to Florence in Western Australia advising that he was in hospital - so perhaps Florence has died in WA, not Adelaide.

1916 - his address was Kings Lyn, Norfolk.

There is no correspondence from Florence, so she was not concerned about his non- return.

https://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch.aspx

ChristineR
    Australia

Oh wow ChristineR you are fantastic. JJOP will be over the moon. I know I am and it isn't even my family. Thanks for putting the web site address in. Another one for me to spend hours browsing. I haven't had to do too much research in Australia as all my lot only moved to NZ in 1961 and I came here in '63 and my Aussie husband's tree was done by others to a great degree and what I did have to find and/or check was in NSW.
    A terrific end to my day.
    Christina

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by JJOP View Post
    I have found a photo of a group of houses, with the names C Winterbones, E Winterbones,Harry Loose, my house, Wm Loose written in ink above each house.
    The names you have listed, LOOSE, WINTERBONE, HARVEY all stood out as frequently occurring in Norfolk.

I would think the photo refers to Ernest WINTERBONE, a fisherman who lived on Main Road, Brancaster in 1901. He had a brother called Charles and the two of them lived on the Green in 1891.

In 1891 they lived next to the Victory Inn where Thomas LOOSE was landlord with a son William, and two doors away was Robert LOOSE with his son William. Also nearby was another William LOOSE, also with a son William in 'Island House'.

You might find a mention of the Victory on the Norfolk Pubs web-site
    https://www.norfolkpubs.co.uk/index.htm
    The Victory is now closed and is called Dial House, it's the National Trust Activity Centre
    https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...brancaster.htm

You can get an old map of the area on
    https://www.old-maps.co.uk/

GeoffD

Because of the mention of a Boer War wound, I had a quick look at the Boer War nominal rolls for Australian enlistments https://www.awm.gov.au/nominalrolls/boer/ and there are two Arthur Harvey names, but neither appears to be the correct one.

Checked the NZ Boer War embarkation https://www.nzhistory.net.nz/war/saw-database

No Arthur Harvey there. So maybe he enlisted in the English contingent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast