Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    pennydog

1841 census HO107 - 295 - 4/7 - 9 living at Muston's Lane, St Peters, Shaftsbury, Dorset

Samuel Baker age 27
    Harriet Baker age 25
    Mary Baker age 6
    Fanny Baker age 3
    George Baker age 1

George is the only one 'born in county'

Samuel's occ is "Schoolm" sic

Could be the family Jane has found?

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    same newspaper, 20 April 1853
    'At his father's residence, West Maitland, on Sunday, April 17, aged 14 years, George, son of Mr. Samuel Baker; deeply regretted by his parent and friends.'

This would put his d.o.b. as around about 1849, just about the time of the 'Lima' voyage, so if we could find a birth for him it might help tell us if we're on the right track.
    In fact round about 1839 !!! (too early in the morning for maths). Which would fit very nicely with the George found by pennydog in 1841.

spison

Can anyone find this family in 1851?

Hugh Thompson

Fanny Baker in that 1841 Census would make her 11 in 1849 which fits nicely with what we know.
    Hugh.

spison

Yep! Looking very good for Fanny (and I don't need to be embarrassed).
    Jane

Hugh Thompson

Pennydog, your census family looks good from what I can see, the NSW BDM's don't show a Harriet Baker aged 38 although they do have a Hannah Baker aged 38 dying that year, but there's no George that I can see apart from an infant which I don't think would be him, records for that time like Jane said are not always there.
    Hugh.

spison

Because this is my local area I'll also have a dig about at our FHS to see if I can find anything more. But if the registers were retained by the minister or lost, it will be harder to find anything. Harriet and George both died before compulsory registration began in NSW so it's only a burial record I'm after. Mary Ann and Thomas Woolaston appear on a tree on My Heritage. I haven't looked at it. Only Mary Ann's death will show her mother's maiden name. Poor Samuel. To lose first his daughter and then his wife and son in such quick succession. He appears to have given many lectures in Maitland but I don't know how long he stayed there.
    Jane

Hugh Thompson

This might help some Jane.
    Hugh.

From the book "Centenary history of the Presbyterian Church in New South Wales"

PRESBYTERY OF THE HUNTER
    Elder: — In office
    (1872) Samuel Baker

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

which is so good I'll have another

Nobody has yet looked at UK newspapers for late 1848/1849 for news of Samuel and his family leaving the UK.
    My family history is currently on the back-burner, so I have yet to take out a sub to any of the newspaper sites, but I know there are people with access to them.

Pam

Hugh Thompson

Looks like one of their sons death at St Leonards, Samuel Baker, parents Samuel and Harriet 1910, in 1885 there's a Samuel Baker aged 71 years dying at West Maitland, could be him, would make his birth about 1814, and that UK census has that Samuel aged 27 which works out about the same birth year of 1814
    Hugh.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast