Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Coromandel

Great find, Hugh! What a shame the paper doesn't mention the name, age or sex of the only person to die on the voyage. If I've got the wrong voyage of the Lima and the wrong Rev. Baker, the person who died may be nothing to do with the mystery grave on Deal Island.

minack

Dear Coromondel, Hugh, Procat, Pam and Jane,

Thank you all for your help with this mystery. I really appreciate all the efforts you have put in. I will pass on all the information to the caretakers on Deal.

Regards

minack

Hugh Thompson

The Moreton Bay Courier page 2, Saturday 10th November 1849, mentions that the Bakers were from Windsor, so it could help finding a birth around 1830-40 for the child.
    Hugh.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Thompson View Post
    The Moreton Bay Courier page 2, Saturday 10th November 1849, mentions that the Bakers were from Windsor, so it could help finding a birth around 1830-40 for the child.
    I have been looking at directories etc. for Windsor, England (no obvious leads yet) . . . but it does occur to me that it's possible that the Bakers were from Windsor, Australia, and had accompanied Dr Lang on one of his voyages to the UK in search of some good upright citizens.

Hugh Thompson

That's possible Coromandel, I had discounted the idea but I'll have a scratch around with that in mind, you never know, really need someone to have a good look at the 1841 UK census, and thanks minack, don't give up yet, we love to help at Brit Gen.
    Hugh.

spison

The Colonial Times (Hobart) on the 13th November, 1849 says:
    THE "LIMA."-This barque, from London 25th June, Captain Yule, with emigrants, bound to Sydney, sent her boat ashore at Garden Cove on the 12th instant, to inter the body of a young lady, the daughter of the Religious Instructor, Mr. Baker, who died on board on the 11th inst. They report seeing the light-house distinctly for forty-five miles.
    Still no given name.
    Jane

Hugh Thompson

Well we seem to be looking for the correct young lady Jane, I can't find anything relating to Windsor NSW at all, and no listing for a Samuel Baker in any religious context.
    The poor girl needs a name.
    Hugh.
    Ps. the ship's surgeon was a Dr Wilkinson, so there should be his records of the voyage somewhere.

spison

Hugh I'd also like to give this girl a name. I have found nothing on TNA for a Surgeon's Journal for the Lima.

I have an extremely nebulous lead on Samuel's wife and eldest daughter. It is based only on Samuel being described as a teacher but it may allow confirmation from other sources - especially their appearance on the 1841C (and NOT on the 1851C). Samuel's wife was Harriet and his eldest daughter was named Mary Ann. Explanation follows:

1. The Maitland Mercury on the 24th May, 1851 says: On the 22nd May, by special license, by the Rev. W. McIntyre, M. A., Mr. Thomas Woolaston, of the Namoi River, to Mary Ann, eldest daughter of Mr. Samuel Baker, Free Presbyterian School, West Maitland. This marriage is before compulsory registration in NSW and IS NOT on NSW BDM which suggests that the register is one of those missing from the transcriptions that make up the 'V' reels. (Or the online NSW BDM record is badly transcribed which is also possible.)
    2. Mary Ann and Thomas go on to have many children near or in Tamworth, NSW (near the Namoi River).
    3. Mary Ann dies in Tamworth as Mary A WOOLLASTON in 1905 (NSW BDM 14427/1905) and her parents are recorded as Samuel and Harriet.

Hopefully someone can prove me correct or otherwise. (And if it's otherwise I won't be too embarrassed.)
    Jane

Hugh Thompson

Found this at Rootsweb (address below) about the life of Edmund James Lonsdale MLA for New England.

"Limited education with Free Presbyterian school West Maitland conducted by a Samuel Baker opened in 1850."
    Which is good timing for our Mr Baker.
    Hugh.

https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....s/2/30785.html

Coromandel

Another couple of bits on that West Maitland Samuel, in case they help:

The Maitland Mercury & Hunter River General Advertiser of 30 March 1853 announced the death at West Maitland on 29th March of 'Harriet, the beloved wife of Mr. Samuel Baker, aged 38 years; deeply regretted by her family and friends.'

same newspaper, 20 April 1853
    'At his father's residence, West Maitland, on Sunday, April 17, aged 14 years, George, son of Mr. Samuel Baker; deeply regretted by his parent and friends.'

This would put his d.o.b. as around about 1849, just about the time of the 'Lima' voyage, so if we could find a birth for him it might help tell us if we're on the right track.

I have to get to work now, but will try to fit in a visit to the library later, to check some census returns. There must be a name for this little girl somewhere.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast