Thread: Can't Find

ewan

Default Can't Find

I have just spent a frustrating hour or so at my library searching the 1911 on ancestry because I wanted a copy of the image. At home I managed to find on the free indexes of findmypast and 1911census a couple that I have been following through the censuses, but do you think I could find them on ancestry?

Any ideas why they can't be found anyone, have they been transcribed differently?

Edward Smith born Sussex 1856
    Edith Ann Smith born Lincolnshire 1854

Living in Romford Essex

Many thanks
    Ewan

Coromandel

Essex is one of the counties that's still listed as only 'partially searchable' on Ancestry:

https://www.
    ancestry.co.uk/census_gettingstarted#1911Census

so it may be lack of transcription rather than mis-transcription that's the problem.

ewan

Thank you Coromandel, I didn't realise that the records weren't complete, but having read the information from the link you gave I now understand. Will keep that link now as it may show when Essex is trasncribed.

Thank you
    Ewan

Reputation beyond repute

The records on Ancestry are complete - the indexing isn't. It is often possible to find records on Ancestry fairly easily using information from the free indexes. As luck would have it, you want the surname Smith! Unfortunately that may take quite a time

Thomasin

Edward Smith 55 Dining and Refreshment Room Proprietor b. Hastings, Sussex
    Edith Ann Smith 57 (married 33 years) Assisting in Business b. Barton on Humber, Lincolnshire (not Basson on Hunter, FMP!)
    Robert Leonard Smith 23 Gardener Domestic b. Hastings, Sussex
    Olive Burton Smith 30 Dining Room Waitress b. Hastings, Sussex

4 children born alive, 2 died

1 Norfolk Parade, London Road, Romford
    RG14PN9833 RG78PN520 RD191 SD1 ED9 SN265 copyright TNA.

Reputation beyond repute

1 Norfolk Parade, London Road, Romford
    RG14PN9833 RG78PN520 RD191 SD1 ED9 SN265 copyright TNA.
    To find the image on Ancestry, enter -
    County (Essex)
    Parish (Romford)
    Enumeration District (9)

Once the piece is displayed, select the image number which will be approximately double the schedule number. So try an image number of 2*265 = 530 (not quite right in this case so try the previous/next schedule)

ewan

Thank you Thomasin for posting the details, it seems that Edward's (Robert as he was baptised) family were in the catering business and has been passed to generations. This was an exercise to see if Edward had moved to the south coast, but obviously he was in Essex 1911.

Thank you also Peter for the information regarding the records on ancestry and Essex, following your instructions hopefully I will be able to see the image now.

Ewan