nolly

Default LOOK UP POLICE STATION ON L.E.E.R

Hello

I have recently found a section on the London England Electoral Registers (L.E.E.R). Which lists all the policemen names who were situated at a station in W.10 London. I am quite sure this is available for all stations listed in the L.E.E.R.

How do I show you this particular link?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello nolly, and welcome to the forums

Quote Originally Posted by nolly View Post
    I have recently found a section on the London England Electoral Registers (L.E.E.R). Which lists all the policemen names who were situated at a station in W.10 London. I am quite sure this is available for all stations listed in the L.E.E.R.
    I believe policemen would be listed in the electoral roll at a police station only if that was the address where they normally resided and where they were registered to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by nolly View Post
    How do I show you this particular link?
    If you need to post a link to Ancestry, you can do so on this thread, provided you split it across two lines so that it is not 'live and clickable'. Like this ...
    https://www.
    british-genealogy.com

Or you can post the name, the year, and the parliamentary division, so that members who have access to Ancestry can search for it.

Or you can type out some of the data from the Ancestry page and post it on this thread. That way our many members who do not subscribe to Ancestry may be able to help you.

A fountain of knowledge

Unlike censusses, which sometimes show you all the officers on duty from a particular station on census night even if they were actually out on the beat, as Kerrywood says, policemen would be listed in ERs at the "station" only if it was their residence address. I suspect that what nolly has seen is a "Section House" -- a hostel for single officers. See https://www.met.police.uk/history/section_houses.htm

Similar lists of unrelated people all at the same address will be encountered for old people's and nursing homes, residential schools, army barracks, monasteries/convents, etc. etc. It might be a useful exercise to have them all identified and classified for elimination purposes, but it would take a long time, and unless you're looking for PC John Smith, a name search should find your rellie anyway.