Mary Young

Default Family History Resource File Viewer - problem

I've been viewing the 1881 UK census CDs on this Windows 7 computer for two years without a hitch. Now suddenly, for no apparent reason, I can't view the data CDs, the error message is

Run-Time error 339
    component 'FolioObjects.ocx' or one of its dependencies
    is not correctly regstered: a file is missing or invalid.

Unfortunately I haven't used the CDs for a several weeks, and I can't get System Restore to go back further than a more recent Windows Critical Update. I have uninstalled the Viewer, installed again in Windows XP compatibility mode (as I did originally). The LDS site has a help page indicating it's a virus problem - but AVira AV and TrojanRemover say my system is clean.

Short of re-installing Windows 7, I can't think of anything else - I'd be grateful for help or advice.

Mary Young

Mutley

If you google your problem it seems you are not alone. Many are asking the same question.

The simplest answer did seem to come from Family Search themselves though there were several other sites that gave replies I had a job to understand. Good Luck.
    P.S. I've not tried my CDs in my new Windows 7 yet, I'll give it a go at the weekend.
    https://productsupport.familysearch.o...wer&Selected=1

Mary Young

Hi Mutley
    Thanks for your reply, and the link to the help-page on LDS site. Yes, it seems many have been asking the same question, for many years! Unfortunately, the "simplest answer" hasn't helped despite working through those instructions.
    The anoying thing is, my computer has been running the Viewer OK for quite a while. When I upgraded it to Windows 7 I deliberately installed my older programs first, in XP (Service Pack II) compatibility mode. I suspect my OS has become corrupted and is causing the problem. I'm not ready for a "cleansweep" just now, but luckily I have an old Win2000 laptop which runs the Viewer perfectly.

Hello Mary

I had to buy a new computer in January Windows 7, my old faithfully computer Windows XP just gave up, I am finding I cant install the viewer for the 1881 census and the Vital records index I get all sorts the error messages

Peanut

LittleSpark

Hi Mary
    The same thing happened to me when we had a new computer with Windows 7.
    After installing the viewer, it wouldn't work yet it was fine on Windows XP.
    I've found many things won't work on Windows 7 - give me XP anytime.

Sheila

Mary Young

I'm starting to think, I was very lucky getting the Viewer to run in Windows 7!! RFViewer 4.0 was one of the first things I installed, even before loading my AV and going on-line. I did not use the CD autostart option. Instead, used Control Panel>Programs>Run programs made for previous versions of Windows> and select Compatibility with Windows XP (Service Pack II) and "Run as Administrator". Once the Viewer has installed, insert Disk 1, select "Click here to add a resource file to this list" and it will update to Viewer 4.2.
    This worked for me last year, you might be lucky :-)