Richard Miller

Smile Burghley Road School London 1922 to 1931

My father Stanley George Goodey attended this school located in the Kentish Town Tufnell Park area of London between 1922 and 1931.

I am researching the life of my father who was born in Fulham in 1916 and died in Hampstead in 2007. My father was an air gunner during WW2 with bomber command. He was taken as a POW in 1942 in Germany and eventually repatriated in 1945 and discharged from the RAF in 1946. He married my mother in 1950. I was born in 1951.

My parents separated in 1955 just before the birth of my brother. My mother then chose to use her mother’s maiden name of Miller as our surname. I never saw my father again until after my mother had died in 2004 when my brother I managed to discover where my father was living (in Hampstead) and we met our father in 2007. Sadly he died later that year. Since then on an off I have been trying to find out more about his life. For example following my father’s death I found out that he was employed at Harrods from the late 1950s until her retired in 1973 mending lighters in the tobacconists department for the rich and famous.

Any assistance to find out more about this school during the years 1922 to 1931, would be very much appreciated. I would particularly be interested in any photos of school children during this time should such a photo include my father.

Regards

Richard

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Miller View Post
    Any assistance to find out more about this school during the years 1922 to 1931, would be very much appreciated. I would particularly be interested in any photos of school children during this time should such a photo include my father.
    This school is now called Acland Burghley, and comes under Camden LEA.

The historical records are held at London Metropolitan Archives, who offer a research service. For the boys' school, there are admission and discharge registers for the period 1893-1936. Sadly, the surviving logbooks relate only to the girls' and infants' schools, and the evening school.

If you want to search the LMA catalogue for a breakdown of the records, the Reference Code to enter is LCC/EO/DIV2/BGH.

https://
    search.lma.gov.uk/OPAC_LMA/login.html

For photographs, you may do better to contact the school direct
    www.
    aclandburghley.camden.sch.uk