Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    p.mca

Question Stigma of illegitimacy

I thought this a better place than a google search to ask this question, which may help me with a 'brickwall' I have posted on that forum.
    What degree of stigma was associated, in a small Scottish village (Stevenston- I hope village is the appropriate description) in the early 1870s for a woman age 17? Depends perhaps on who the father was? In this case the father is named on the birth certificate, along with his occupation and place of residence, but I can't find any other trace of him (the brickwall). The mother is listed on subsequent census' under her maiden name, and unmarried, though said to be married on the birth certificate. Her mother lists her under the fathers name in her (mohters) poor house records, and the child carried his name through life (until he changed it, another story), as did his 3 years younger sister, who is listed as 'illegitimate' on her birth cert.
    It just seems like a lot of trouble to 'make up' a father if being illegitimate is not that big a deal?
    Your thoughts appreciated.
    Phil.

Reputation beyond repute

It's not just stigma is it? There's the question of maintenance. Following the money trail is often good advice.

p.mca

Thank you Peter, I'm not sure how to do that... I'll read further through this topic but if you have some suggestions that would be appreciated.
    Phil.

Reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid I know next to nothing about Scottish law and procedures. Sorry.

Hollytree

Quote Originally Posted by p.mca View Post
    'make up' a father if being illegitimate is not that big a deal?
    Phil.
    I don't think that the father would be 'made up' poor law unions were always anxious to find out who the father was to ensure that the child didn't cost them anything.

This link gives reading about illegitimacy in Scotland. I too don't know much about the law in Scotland, but I do think that at this time to have a child and not be married was a 'big deal'. The church for example would not approve, and society in general at this time was very concerned about morality.

www.
    scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?578

Anne
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 30-01-2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: direct link to a paysite

hepzibah

i think whether the man was married or not would have a bearing on the case, too. there seems to have been a huge amount of double standards then- young men sowed thier oats, 'nice' young women were virtuous. if you were mairried man, you just shouldn't get caught. so if the man was married, i bet it was kept quieter, and off record, rather than if he was single

Famous for offering help & advice

I agree with that. Like Peter I also know next to nothing about Scottish laws.

If a mother and baby moved away after the birth then that does indicate there was a scandal. It happened in my family. The girls dad was a village businessman. In cities it was much easier to cover up base born births.

Tinker

Perhaps it depended on the village, the minister and the circumstances? I have a Scottish ancestress who blithely produced 5 or so illegitimate children one after the other in the same area, and didn't appear to be particularly bothered. They all seemed to be by different fathers too!!

Very quick off the mark.

As your question relates to Scotland, you may get some advice on the TalkingScot Forum

talkingscot.com/forum/ (put www. in front)

Another Forum with very knowledgeable members and just as friendly as BG.

Regards,

Maggie

p.mca

Thanks to all members for their helpful comments. I will check out the talkingscots website but as the birth was registered in Ireland and happened in Wales I will have to see if they can help. I have looked at the info on this site ; home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/births (google it for the full site name). Based on this I conclude-
    1) The father is named. The above link suggests that post 1850 (this was 1871) this means the parents were married. Neither parent has signed the certificate, which was signed by the informant, the mother's mother. This does not change the above conclusion. The son being registered with the father's name (which he was indeed known by from that time forth) also supports the marriage supposition.
    2) The mother is named by her (supposedly) married name, with 'formerly'- maiden name, more evidence.

Unfortunately I have no evidence of the marriage in the form of a marriage record in a reasonable time frame. I can send by private email a copy of the certificate if that is both allowed and helpful.

I have always presumed that the fathers details are made up and the son is really illegitimate though as late as 20 years later the grandmother is still referred to her daughter (the mother on the certificate) by the married name and calling her married (poor house records 1898).

Confused? I am!

Phil.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast