Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Jan, Benny and Peter,

I have received the birth certificate for Elizabeth Craddock, born 12th October 1871. No father is mentioned. The address is given only as Brereton, Rugeley.
    Good-oh!

Who/where should I now go with regards to a baptismal record?
    Perhaps the Staffordshire County Records Office could be a starting point. Contact them to see if they have the parish records for both Brereton (St Michael's) as well as Rugeley (St Augustine) plus you will need to check the non-conformist registers (if they have them) for the Brereton Weslyan Chapel, if the Parish Registers cannot help. Arrange a day trip and take sandwiches.

Is it likely that since no father is mentioned on hte birth certificate he will also be omitted from the baptismal records?
    Not necessarily. You may have a Parish Clerk who is more diligent than most and makes little comments in the margin - such as "purported father being XXXX"

Does this mean that Elizabeth is more than likely to have been illegitimate?
    Oh, yes. in which case, you may find "My Ancestor was a Bastard" to be rather useful.

Reputation beyond repute

Does this mean that Elizabeth is more than likely to have been illegitimate?
    It's definite.

I'd recommend the book, too.

Iain

Jan, Peter,

Thanks for replying. I have ordered the book as recmmended.

Thanks for the link to the records office. I shall have to get there as soon as possible.

Famous for offering help & advice

Yes a baptism is the best bet and the book will guide you to looking up affiliation orders or court orders which may give a clue to a father.

Nore

Hi Iain, I'm new here too. My grandfathers birth certificate has a line through "father" and I know he was illegitimate. My greatgram was married to one man and had two sons with another man. Her husband refused to claim these boys. I am sorry to say I cant remember where I found the B.C.. I think it was through STS. and I am sure it was a free site.

Iain

Hi,

I have so far done all my research on line. I now realise that I have to go into the wider world. Do books give further advice of where to look?

Jan1954

The book that you have ordered will point you in the direction of where to look. There is nothing like sitting in a Records Office and holding original documents in your hands.

Remember - not all records are online and can be open to mistranscription. Originals are best.

Iain

Hi All,

Got a horrible feeling I have been chasing the wrong line.

How likely is it that dates could be 3-4 years out. My research on this line started with a 1911 census, which gives the head of the houshold age as 39. The marriage was given as 20 years. But when I check the ages on hte marriage certificate they do not tally with the census. They are about 5 years out.

???????

Reputation beyond repute

Got a horrible feeling I have been chasing the wrong line.
    In that case you had better reassess where you are. I think you said this is your wife's line. Check that you have a full chain of BMD certificates from your wife back to the 1911 census entry and that everything hangs together.

Then let us know the 1911 census reference so that we can all look at it and come up with an opinion on what came before.

Famous for offering help & advice

How likely is it that dates could be 3-4 years out.
    That is not uncommon. Ages on census are not always accurate, people sometimes were not sure of their age. Also on marriage certificates ages can be wrong for various reasons... pretending to be older for instance if under the age of consent, an older partner wanting to appear younger.
    My ggGrandmother stated she was 22 on her marriage but was only 18.
    But double check all your info if you have any doubts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast