+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy600 View Post
    The change of 'y' to 'ies' is when there is more than one or 'ie's' when it belongs to someone.

The use of 'y' or 'ie' is I think is a personal choice or inteperation of how the name is spelt. Maybe wrong...
    I wasn't thinking of plurals or possessive forms but more the difference of spelling between the rude word and female first name.
    But maybe there is no difference at all?

e.g.
    Aunty says to her friend "how's your Fanny/ie today, hope that awful rash has gone?"
    The spoken word does not tell me if Aunty used a capital 'F'.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    I love words! I love the way different accents make words that look exactly the same sound so different. I love the way the "English" language has developed so differently in different parts of the world. I could listen to people and the way they use and abuse words all the time.

Trouble is, someone has to do the laundry and clean the floors and scrub the lavatories and in this house I am Someone.
    Ahhh! but 'sum-one' is the start, the beginning, the total and be all and end all. What better position to be in than that?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Aunty says to her friend "how's your Fanny/ie today, hope that awful rash has gone?"
    The spoken word does not tell me if Aunty used a capital 'F'.
    I believe it is personal preference in this case..........or fashion, because it used to be fashionable to write auntie and then it was aunty and now you can have both.......
    WHat? What did I say? oh, it wasn't aunty you were talking about it was Fanny. Oh I see. Well as someone whose first name is Frances I think I heard all the Fanny jokes by the time I was 20.
    Ladkyis

“You can’t give her that!” she screamed. “It’s not safe!”
    IT’S A SWORD, said the Hogfather. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

I am fluent in three languages, English, Sarcasm and Profanity

Loves to help with queries JohnN's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    I love words! I love the way different accents make words that look exactly the same sound so different. I love the way the "English" language has developed so differently in different parts of the world.
    Back in my working days it was always interesting when on a training course to observe the reactions of the participants whenever the expression "On-the-job training" was used. The faces of those with an English background would light up with amusement, while the New Zealanders looked slightly puzzled - they couldn't see what was so funny!

Being 'on the job' has quite different connotations in each country.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2