Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasin View Post
    I was questioning Sue's reading, as I posted this before seeing your interpretation.
    No problem -- these things are all in the eye of the beholder, anyway.

Coromandel

The alphabet here may help, especially with some of those troublesome initial capitals:

https://www.
    nationalarchives.gov.uk/palaeography/doc2_popup/alphabet.htm

sueannbowen

Well, thanks so much everyone. Kerrywood, I know you like to compare letters with other words but I hadn't got the cheek to put the whole thing on! It is as Thomasin says a real blighter! And she is way more polite than me. I have 'done' the first bit which amounts to about a third of the page and then on page 2 am about another third down. So not even a whole page of his Will. Then the image gets fainter and the whole thing is littered with bequests to one Wall or another. Lots of whom seem to be brothers or their wives. It is that bit which is tantalizing. I am really hoping that Devereaux is my Francis Wall's brother (they married in the same church in Southwark within a month of each other) and this will might help a bit. But I fear it will be a long flog to get it all done. I will try to only post the bits that drive me completely bonkers. Thanks again everyone.

It sounds like you're doing very well indeed.

I'm sure it will get quicker. Much of the wording will be common form, and you'll surely recognise phrases from the first page that recur on later pages.

If you get stuck, you might like to take a look at some of the wills transcribed here. Try looking at some wills of similar date to your own, and you may be able to find solutions to some of the 'unreadable' words in yours. Bear in mind, though, that the site is a wiki, and not all the transcriptions are 100% accurate. You have to take the rough with the smooth.

As you seem to be lucky enough to have quite a lot of wills in your family, you might also like to consider creating a template, or a list of standard phrases that you can refer back to when in difficulties?

Good luck, and happy transcribing!

sueannbowen

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    As you seem to be lucky enough to have quite a lot of wills in your family, you might also like to consider creating a template, or a list of standard phrases that you can refer back to when in difficulties?

Good luck, and happy transcribing!
    This true Kerrywood there do seem to be a lot. None of the money lasted though I wonder what Devereux' profession was? I have googled him to see whether he pops up anywhere but he hasn't so far. Nicholas Lane seems to have been in the Square Mile so it was probably financial. Onward and upward!

Quote Originally Posted by sueannbowen View Post
    I wonder what Devereux' profession was?
    The City of London Freedom admissions, as well as the Apprenticeship Tax records, include several apprentices bound to Devereux WALL, Citizen and Butcher of London (1760s-1770s). Could this be your man?

A later section of the will might clarify if he had a business, or any tools of the trade.

You'll also find that the will is discussed here, when a point of law arose over the bequest to Mr HUDSON. The context might imply that Devereux WALL was a dissenter.
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 25-02-2012 at 3:59 PM. Reason: added a link

According to the Surrey Burials Index, Devereux WALL was buried at Sutton on 21 Jan 1805, aged 68.

An Elizabeth WALL was also buried at Sutton on 3 Nov 1809, aged 82.

There are no other WALL burials at Sutton in this collection (1636-1865).

sueannbowen

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    The City of London Freedom admissions, as well as the Apprenticeship Tax records, include several apprentices bound to Devereux WALL, Citizen and Butcher of London (1760s-1770s). Could this be your man?

A later section of the will might clarify if he had a business, or any tools of the trade.

You'll also find that the will is discussed here, when a point of law arose over the bequest to Mr HUDSON. The context might imply that Devereux WALL was a dissenter.
    I think this might be him. I found a reference to a Devereux Wall on A2A -
    Memorandum of admission of Devereux Wall on the surrender by John Sparrow P5/15/24 25 June 1784
    held at Sutton Local Studies Centre. No idea what this ducument is. Do you know Kerrywood, I have spent so long with the non-conformists lately I did wonder whether he was a dissenter. Cannot find a baptism for him or Francis in their records though. The link to Devereux and Francis is tenuous (just the fact that they married in the same place within a month of each other) and a Francis is named in his Will! However, still worth pursuing. I had found those two Sutton burials thanks. If they are to be believed Elizabeth was 10 years older than Devereux. I think this sort of thing is what keeps us going. whilst I would love him to be mine, if he turns out not to be it won't matter - the chase is still good! thanks again for your help. I will track down those apprentice records. I thought I had looked on An****try already but that might have been for Francis. I have no idea what his trade was.

Coromandel

londonlives.org (put www. in front) has three references to the name Devereux Wall.

The first is a Sun fire insurance policy of 1 January 1778, for Devereux Wall, butcher, giving the address 17 Nicholas Lane; it also says Lombard Street; I'm not sure if that's two addresses or if Nicholas Lane is/was off Lombard Street. I'll leave that to our London experts to sort out!

The second is to the 1805 PCC will of a Devereux Wall of Sutton, Surrey (is this the will you have, Sue?).

The third is an entry from an 1806 Westminster pollbook, with Devereux Wall, butcher, Essex Street, St Clement Danes/St Mary-le-Strand. If 1806 is the year of publication I guess this could be the same Devereux who was of Sutton, but if it is the year of the election it must be someone else (unless there was some election-fixing going on, and dead people managed to keep voting...)

The Old Bailey Proceedings website has a Devereux Wall appearing as a witness in 1766 to a pocket-picking incident 'at the corner of Nicholas-lane, going into Cannon-street':

oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t17660903-1&div=t17660903-1

sueannbowen

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post

The second is to the 1805 PCC will of a Devereux Wall of Sutton, Surrey (is this the will you have, Sue?).

oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t17660903-1&div=t17660903-1
    Hi Coromandel - yes that is the same Will. Thanks for the other snippets though - marvelous. Isn't he a lovely name to research! A bit easier than his (fingers crossed) brother.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12