Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Default Help required for a surname please

I'm stuck on the groom's surname for the marriage of Elizabeth Empson in October 1715.
    (left-hand side of page, third from bottom.)
    https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3....98&wc=13674331

I presume it's G, then o.
    Followed by ????
    I think the next letter is a t, and then although it looks like a 'o' that is how that vicar wrote his e's.
    Followed by r-s-o-n.

But Go_terson seems a funny name, and I'm also stuck trying to think of a present-day 'equivalent'.

(Ten minutes later )
    After a little more investigation, I've found some references to Gotterson as a surname.
    But other possibilities welcome.

Thank you.
    Pam

birdlip

Could be GOLTERSON?
    It looks like an incomplete 'l', similar to the way he has formed his 'l' in 'Elizabeth'

AnnB

I'm with Birdlip - I think it reads Golterson, but they seem to be a bit thin on the ground so Golterson may be a variation of Gotterson

One thing's for certain - it ain't Smith.........

Best wishes
    Ann

malcolm99

I agree with birdlip. The 3rd letter is a distinctive ‘l’, e.g. see ‘Wilson’ and ‘April’ in the entry at the bottom of the same column & elsewhere.
    The 4th letter isn’t a ‘b’ (e.g. see ‘Gilbert’ in Image 35 LH column 3rd from bottom– even though he’s 20 years older by then!) but I’m sure it’s a ‘t’ – see e.g. the almost contemporary entry ‘daughter’ in 2nd entry LH col Image 43.

I'd go with Thomas Golterson as well. Gosh you're up early today Pam!
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Knowledgeable and helpful

I would say Golterson too

Thank you, everyone , for your very prompt replies.

I must have been going cross-eyed, or perhaps it was lack of sleep, but I never thought of the missing letter
    as being an 'L'.

(Sue - we won't go into the reasons why I was allegedly 'up so early'. )

Pam

malcolm99

I saw at least one Gotherson up the road in Westwick and then came across quite a few Gotterson’s in that village who go back at least until 1685. It’s hard to believe that they’re not related to Thomas in Skeyton in 1714.

BTW there’s a Henry Empson baptised in Skeyton in 1731 (Image 9 RH col) & Gotterson baptisms in 1763/64/65 (but I expect you already know this).

Hi Malcolm,
    Thanks for the heads-up re Gottersons elsewhere.
    I found an index with Gottersons listed in Skeyton - hence my 'ten minutes later' note.

That Skeyton register is (like a lot of PRs from that era) slightly haphazard in the way the pages have been filled in. (Though full marks to the vicar for his large writing!) I'd been through quite a few pages and found some Empson baptisms. including Henry in 1731 who's mine, and some burials, but I was having trouble finding the marriages. Now of course I've found Mary's. I'll have to go through the register again, this time looking for baptisms and burials for her children.

However as any of Mary's children will be distant twigs on my tree, that bit of searching has been entered on
    my 'to do list 2015'.

Pam