Knowledgeable and helpful

Default 1871 Look-up - J U R bc 1801

Could someone with access to original records please look up this entry for a resident of Fisherton House Lunatic Asylum, please?

I would like to know if this was a man or woman, confirmation of the middle initial, and any indication of place of birth or former residence.

Any help much appreciated.

wendymac

Hello brentor boy,

I'm sorry I'm finding the script difficult to read and there isn't really any info - all I can tell you is that J U R is a 70yr old male- pauper.
    piece 1959 - folio 90 - page 13

hope this helps
    Last edited by wendymac; 24-02-2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: added info

Thomasin

JUR is also married and 'Rank, profession or occupation' - NK. (The piece should read 1952).

wendymac

Sorry about that. Thankyou Thomasin for pointing that out it's way past my bedtime and I think my brain has gone.

Thanks, Wendy and Thomasin. I am looking for a man with the initials JWR, married, aged 70. So far, so good, but in the absence of any other detail being recorded I am unable to determine if this is my man. I certainly would not have expected to find him in an asylum in Wiltshire, but I found his son-in-law in Broadmoor so anything is possible. Perhaps Wiltshire Record Office may be able to help.

Reputation beyond repute

The National Archives; RG 10/1952 f 90 p 13

Perhaps Wiltshire Record Office may be able to help.
    Check the Hospital Records Database

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/

You'll see that known surviving records are at Wiltshire and Swindon Record Office including Admission and Discharge registers 1813-1970 which may be enough to identify your man. Unfortunately there are no clinical records covering 1871.

Thanks, Peter.

Since my earlier post I think I have now traced my man, mentioned in an 1872 newspaper report. I am just awaiting some confirmatory documentation but if my suspicions are correct, then this eliminates the person in Fisherton House.

sueannbowen

Quote Originally Posted by brentor boy View Post
    Perhaps Wiltshire Record Office may be able to help.
    In my experience, WRO staff are amazingly helpful - give them a ring or email. They always respond promptly and for a reasonable charge will copy and send you anything you want.