Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    TreeChaser

Default Illegitimacy & Army Records

Hi just a quick one my great grandfather was a illegitimate child and we think he was put into a home in the early 1900's, however he joined the army after WW1 and I'm wondering if he would have had to have put a next of kin onto his application to give us a lead into who he was close too. Also we have his photo albums and he has a picture of a man which says Uncle on the back so now I'm thinking he may have known his family could this be possible??

Loves to help with queries Jonesy's Avatar

Do you have any idea which home he was sent to? That may provide a source of information, as the home would have been keen to know who the parents were, so they could apply charges.

If you post some details of him on here, someone will no doubt check to see if there might be some WW1 records available. These in turn may well show a next of kin. But bear in mind that a next of kin is not necessarily a blood relative.

Reputation beyond repute

he joined the army after WW1
    If you have sufficient details, you can request his service record from MoD.

TreeChaser

Hi Jonesy,

His name was Leonard Mcdonald/Macdonald born around 1905 in Chorlton. He was in the Kings Regiment (Liverpool) even though he came from Manchester. The care home was THE MANCHESTER AND SALFORD HOME FOR INFANTS, HOLLAND ROAD HR CRUMPSALL MANCHESTER, I've already been intouch with Manchester City Council Archives and they have no records of this home so they think it may have been privately run.

He also returned back to the area he was born in (Ardwick/Gorton) so that has me thinking he must have known someone in the area to return back after his tours of India.
    I hope this is enough information?

Reputation beyond repute

Leonard Mcdonald/Macdonald born around 1905 in Chorlton
    Aren't you going to get his birth certificate?

Births Mar 1904
    McDonald Leonard Chorlton 8c 855

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post

Births Mar 1904
    Looks like you have a result already!

TreeChaser

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post

Births Mar 1904
    I already have it his mother was a Louie Mcdonald/Macdonald but there's two women of similar ages in the same area and he only appears in the 1911 census at the childrens home. And there's where I hit a deadend with his mother.

Quote Originally Posted by TreeChaser View Post
    I already have it his mother was a Louie Mcdonald/Macdonald but there's two women of similar ages in the same area and he only appears in the 1911 census at the childrens home. And there's where I hit a deadend with his mother.
    And there's no father's name?

Your best bet is definitely the home's records - have you tried the FindMyPast website?:

https://www.
    manchester-family-history-research.co.uk/new_page_5.htm
    Last edited by notanotherminer; 24-02-2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Edited direct link to website with advertising links

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by TreeChaser View Post
    Was that meant to be Louisa? Have you researched this one in the 1901 census:
    RG13,3697,28,6; Louisa MCDONALD, Housemaid (domestic) age 19, born manchester
    29 Richmond Grove, south manchester. Head of household Jane Russell.
    I think this one may be age 15. The other one in Prestwich age 19 born Manchester is found in Prestwich age 9 on the 1891 census. The only other Louisa MCDONALD that fits is age 5 in 1891. (birth reg. Mar 1886).
    I checked the Manchester records and nothing coming up, except a Louisa that was born in chorlton workhouse in 1888, but died in Mar qtr 1889.
    What was the address on the birth of Leonard? Any surnames mentioned in his photo album that may give a hint?
    As for service records, they often name next of kin, but it may just be a friend.