minack

Unhappy Parish Register Look-up

Please could SKS do a look-up at St Marys Shrewsbury for the birth and marriage records for Margaret Dupres and Francis Duprie.

They had a son who was buried in 1752 called Abraham Francis Dupres. Margaret also died in 1752. There were two months in between the deaths - so it wasn't childbirth.

The father Francis Duprie dies in 1756. Another son Francis Duprey was admitted to an apprenticeship with a Joyner in London in 1750.

The varied spellings seem to be typical with this surname. Can anyone find any records of the marriage or birth of the sons?

I know there are a number of Dupree/Dupre in the 1800's in the area. There are no links there. Where did they originally come from? Someone told me they were not in the county for long - but they didn't say when they first appeared. I thought they were all based in and around London.

Any help greatfully received.

minack

pippycat

Hi minack

Familysearch has 1 marriage:

Francis Duprey married Susanna Harley 9 Nov 1752 St Matthew, Bethnal Green.

This is also listed on A* along with:

Francis Duprey batch. of this parish married Sarah Stokes spinst. of this parish, married by Banns
    29 Apr 1767 Horselydown St John, Southwark.

and:

Register of Duties paid for Apprentice Indentures:

Master Thos Jarratt
    Apprentice: Fras Duprey, Joyner 11 Apr 1759

As apprentices weren't supposed to marry whilst serving their apprenticeship maybe the marriage to Sarah Stokes, being after 1759 might be the more plausible of the two, if this is the case...somebody with better knowledge will come along and correct me on this!

Possible death for Francis Duprey of St Matthews, Bethnal Grn
    burial 29 July 1772 at Christchurch, Spitalfields.

Seems obvious to say Duprey is a french sounding name, but do you have any more info on the family? or who Francis senior's parents might be?

Last question! why do you ask for records from Shrewsbury?

Rebecca

minack

Hi Rebecca,

Why Shrewswbury Shropshire? Well I believe that is where my Francis came from. The contract between Thomas Jarratt (Garrett - another Huguenot name) Joyner of London and a Francis Duprey of Shropshire The Francis mentioned in the Apprentice Indentures is very likely to be the Francis Duprey who married the Sarah Stokes. Why?

Two members of the Carpenters guild were witnesses at Francis and Sarah's marriage.

I have been searching for Francis Duprey born about 1740 for some 3 years now and have no more leads in the London and Greater London area.

The link with Shropshire Duprie/es seems the only viable lead at present. As they all seemed to have died in the 1750's in shrewsbury that may account for not being able to trace his parents. His mother was named Margaret and this name was carried on through the family.

Finding Francis 1740 birth in Shropshire and hopefully his parents marriage would assist greatly. They may, however, have entered the UK via the channel isles or Bristol area perhaps from Ireland. I can only use the leads I have.

I will have a look at the other Francis Duprey death at Bethnal Green in the meantime just in case there is a lead there.

Do you have any access to the parish records of St. Mary's Shrewbury? I have a gut feeling about this lead.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

minack