Birdhouse

Default Find Abbott Photography Studio

Hello...I recently received a copy of a photo of my gg grandmother and gg grandfather, but I am trying to pin a date to it. There are no marking other than "G P Abbott", which I suspect is the photographer and/or studio and there is also an address "8 Old Bond St, Bath". Does anyone know what years this photo-studio might have been in business? Thanks for reading my post.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Can you give us a few clues so that we have an idea of which years the studio might have been operational?
    When did you gg grandparents get married? Did they always live in the UK, and if so when did they die? Or alternatively, when did they leave the UK? Do they look very young, or very old in the photograph, or inbetween?

Based on your answers to those questions you could try searching https://www.
    historicaldirectories.org/hd/
    Select Somerset as the county.
    Choose a directory, and click on the directory link on the right-hand side of the page.
    Type Abbott in the search box at the top of the page, and then keep clicking 'next hit' until you come to the end of that directory.

Pam

Brick wall demolition expert!

Checking the census, in 1891 there is a John ARNOLD (photographer) living at 8 Old Bond St in Bath. (RG12/1935, f.25, p.14)

In 1891 there is a George Pearce ABBOTT (photographer assistant) boarding in Bristol but by 1901 he is boarding in Bath in Kingsmead Street and is now a photographer rather than an assistant. By 1911, he is boarding once again in Bristol and is a photographer operator. In 1911 according to the Enumerator's list, 8 Bond St is an Assurance Office (uninhabited, and not used as a dwelling place)

(1891 RG12/1970 f.135, p.25)
    (1901 RG13/2343, f.24 p.7)
    (1911 RG14/14864 SN3)

The Post Office Bath Directory of 1902 has this entry...

Old Bond Street
    8 ABBOTT George P., Photographer

By searching historical directories (Pam has given you a useful link above,) you may be able to pin down the dates of Mr. Abbott’s operation in Old Bond St more precisely.

Birdhouse

Hello Pam...I meant to provide more information, but somewhere between the noggin and the fingers, there was a communication failure, happens a lot lately. My gg grandparents (Keleher/Cox) were married in 1845 in Stratton on the Fosse. John Keleher (b. 1824) died in the mid 1880's and his wife Martha Cox (b. 1829) died in 1900. I am terrible about ages but I would guess John Keleher was in his 40's. Thank you for the search tip, I will examine that URL.

Birdhouse

Thank you Olliecat, for your research into this matter. I will use this census data and Pam's information to try to pin down the date a little better. I did find a reference to a photograph taken by G. P. Abbott of a in 1894, but there was no indication as to location. Thank you again, I will continue moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdhouse View Post
    Hello Pam...I meant to provide more information, but somewhere between the noggin and the fingers, there was a communication failure, happens a lot lately. My gg grandparents (Keleher/Cox) were married in 1845 in Stratton on the Fosse. John Keleher (b. 1824) died in the mid 1880's and his wife Martha Cox (b. 1829) died in 1900. I am terrible about ages but I would guess John Keleher was in his 40's. Thank you for the search tip, I will examine that URL.
    Um, those dates don't tie up with the dates that olliecat found.
    Are you sure that the photo is your gg grandparents, and not just your g grandparents? Or are John and Martha actually your ggg grandparents? (Wouldn't be the first time I've 'lost' a generation. ) i.e. the photo is actually your gg grandparents but they're a descendant of John and Martha.

There's something niggling at the back of my brain that in the States you call great grandparents something different.
    In the UK the generations go
    me
    my parents
    grandparents
    great grandparents
    great great grandparents (2x gt)
    great great great grandparents (3x gt)

Is that the 'chart' you're working to?

(For info - only one George Pearce Abbott born 1840 -1900, and he was in London in 1881, a grocer's assistant.)

Pam

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    (For info - only one George Pearce Abbott born 1840 -1900, and he was in London in 1881, a grocer's assistant.)
    That confused my poor brain for a moment. I thought you were giving his birth/death dates but then it clicked that you meant there was only one George Pearce Abbot around between these dates. Anyway, specific dates for him -> George Pearce Abbott born 1864 (Pancras reg.) - died 1933 (Bristol reg.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Um, those dates don't tie up with the dates that olliecat found.
    I can't make the dates tied in either. If John Keleher was in his forties then the date of the photo would be the 1860's/1870's.

Unless the photo was a later reprint. One option would be for Birdhouse to upload the photo to a site such as Photobucket. Forum members could then take a look at give their opinions as to a date and if it is possibly a reprint.

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    That confused my poor brain for a moment. I thought you were giving his birth/death dates but then it clicked that you meant there was only one George Pearce Abbot around between these dates. Anyway, specific dates for him -> George Pearce Abbott born 1864 (Pancras reg.) - died 1933 (Bristol reg.)
    Sorry, olliecat.
    I was trying (very badly!) to confirm that there was only one George Pearce Abbott, so any reference had to be him.

Pam

Birdhouse

I don't know how to thank both of you for the work you've put into this quest. I agree Pam, that the dates don't add up (yes we follow the same nomenclature for grandparent as you do). I thought peraphs that G.P Abbott was the son of another GP Abbott, but you've answered that also.

Birdhouse

Hello Olliecat, It's possible somewone mislabled the photograph (it's labled on the back in pencil) or else the copy of the picture, which shows the frame (having the GP Abbot name and address), was simply re-framed (don't know if this is a word). Thank you both again, I will continue with the Photobucket site and see where that leads me.