Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Stephen Evans

Cool maltafamilyhistory

Probably one of the best sites around for one with their Malta connections.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Question

I was singing the praises of this site on BG back in April 2005 when it had Stephanie's name in the URL.

It is a bit of a pain having to search each index individually, but the amount of work that has gone into the site is truly amazing, and I wrote and thanked the people behind the site.

If you have anyone who was in the army or navy, it is well worth checking to see if their name appears in any of the indexes.

Pam

potter

I am researching Walter Yaholnitsky who died over Malta and washed up on the shore there. So thank-you and I will check out this site. Cate

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I have just received a death certificate for an ancestor who died in the UK but under her birth place it says Malta and a birth date. How would I go about trying to get a birth certificate. What site are you referring to please

Hello harbourlady99,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Sadly, the Malta Family History site is no longer active, but fortunately can still found in the Internet Archive site. There are two parts to it. This is the first part, which explains what the site is about. Note the 'enquiries' link is unlikely to still be operational.
    The indexes link does still work. Both parts have indexes listed on the left and right hand sides of the page.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20140507...phaniebidmead/
    Part two.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20141006...er%20sites.htm

Most of the indexes list names in alphabetical order.

Having said that, there are other points you need to note.
    Firstly, the site deals mainly, but not exclusively, with births, baptisms, marriages, deaths, and burials of military personnel and their families.
    You need to check the dates covered. e.g. it's no good looking for a baptism if your ancestor was born in 1940 if the index only goes up to 1930.
    Depending on when they were born, have you found your ancestor on a UK census, which also says she was born in Malta?
    Do you know who your ancestors parents were, and why their child might have been born in Malta? (e.g. the father was in the army.)
    Findmypast (FMP) has this dataset. https://
    search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-records/british-armed-forces-and-overseas-births-and-baptisms
    Read the blurb at the top of the page, as well as information lower down the page. You can search for free, and if you find an entry, if you don't have a sub then you can either take out a free trial or you can see if FMP is available at your local library.
    The entry you will see is similar to that of the GRO Index used in England and Wales, and using those details you can order a copy of the birth certificate from the GRO in Southport.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ages/CG6_1.pdf

Searching for 'birth registration in Malta' I found this
    https://www.identitymalta.com/unit/p...gistry-office/
    and also this
    https://www.identitymalta.com/wp-con...ertificate.pdf
    Note that some information requested is compulsory, e.g. date of birth but hopefully you have that from the death certificate.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Maltafamilyhistory

Thank you Pam Downes for the links. Much appreciated

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I have had no luck at all. I have her marriage certificate which does state her father was a major at the time of her marriage in 1915.Her name is Moira Burnett Thomas which was hyphenated at her marriage but her fathers was not. Her father was Wilfred Burnett Thomas i only have moiras birth date which was on her death certicate as 30 Apr 1894 birth place malta.Any suggestions i have looked for military births to find out his regiment no luck

Is this her son's birth registration?
    Shrager Cecil Edward Burnett mmn BURNETT-THOMAS .
    GRO Reference: 1916 June 1/4 registration district STEYNING vol 2B page 472

so it seems she usually used the hyphenated surname. She also used the middle name Burnett after marriage

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Christina
    Yes it is her son.I have her death record and her wedding, but her birth eludes me. The death notice says Malta birth but I cannot find it. Her father was described as a Major on her marriage certificate so i am presume he was army. Again I cannot find him or her mother. I have tried the India site wth no luck.I have tried googling it- no luck, both her father and her husband were in the army. Any suggestions would be helpful

Finally!
    Found Moira in 1921, transcribed as Maria, with young Cecil having the surname Sharpe. Though in fairness the writing on thew household schedule is not the best, though it does say Moira if you look carefully. Moira's birthplace is Malta.
    Still no luck in finding her in 1901 or 1911, even searching for Maria's born in Malta.
    Similar failure in 1939. Found Edwin, but he's on his own.

Now I've sorted out my library card (I was removed from their database in 2016 so it shows how often I use any online services ) I've had a look in The Times Digital Archive for anything about the wedding, but succeeded only in wasting my time.

I can't remember exactly what details were on the Maltese birth certificate request form I found. It might be worth contacting the Maltese Registry Office and asking if every box has to be completed.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast