Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wbrod

Default Great Grandfather Dudley Staffordshire

Job Weaver
    Trying to track down the above relative, my grandmother said he was in the 1st Boer War, then emigrated to US to make steel chain for the Panama Canal. He returned to Staffordshire where he died - don't know what year.
    Last edited by wbrod; 21-02-2012 at 6:55 PM. Reason: forgot to include the name

Jan1954

Hello wbrod - welcome to Brit-Gen,

There is a death registered for a Job Weaver at the age of 56 in the Dudley Registration district in the September quarter of 1913, volume 6b, page 1064. This would make him about 23 or 24 in the first Boer War, which was 1880/1881.

Could this be your chap?

wbrod

Hi Daft,
    This what I currently know:
    Job Weaver
    Birth: Jul 1856 - Dudley, Staffordshire, Worcestershire

wbrod

Default Looks like you hit it on the head

Hi Daft & notanotherminer,
    I did not expect to get a qualified reply so quickly, my compliments to you both! This is very exciting
    wbrod

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by wbrod View Post
    Hi Daft,
    Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    Pardon!
    You should know by now, Graham, that I answer to most things!

Hi Daft & notanotherminer,
    I did not expect to get a qualified reply so quickly, my compliments to you both! This is very exciting
    wbrod
    You really need to lay your hands on copies of certificates. If you are not sure how to do this, just ask.

Coromandel

There's a Job Weaver, chainmaker (born in England), in Lebanon, Pennsylvania in 1900. See household 9 here. He gives a birthdate of September 1856, and immigration date of 1891. He and his wife Maria (also born England) say they've been married 16 years and have had eight children, only four of them still alive. All four are with them, the older two (Ada, 15, and Walter, 10) born in England and the younger ones (Mary E, 7, and Arnold, 2(?)) in Pennsylvania.

Jan1954

Hi Daft,
    This what I currently know:
    Job Weaver
    Birth: Jul 1856 - Dudley, Staffordshire, Worcestershire
    The reference for the certificate is:
    September quarter 1856, Dudley registration district, volume 6c, page 16. Obtain this, and it will name his parents and confirm that the 1861 census information that Graham has found for you is correct.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    He and his wife Maria (also born England) say they've been married 16 years...
    which would fit with them being the Job Weaver and Maria Tromans who married at St Giles, Rowley Regis, in 1884, according to the West Midlands BMD website at westmidlandsbmd.org.uk/index.php (put www. in front). The parish register or a copy of their marriage certificate would give more information, such as names and occupations of each of their fathers. Let us know if you would like instructions on how to obtain such a certificate or copy of a register entry.

wbrod

Hi notanotherminer,
    I very much appreciate the info, by chance could you find a marriage certificate when he married Maria (don't know the maiden name) about 1884 in Staffordshire.
    Thanks,
    Walt

Jan1954

By the way, I found these Weavers from Staffordshire who travelled to America, arriving through the Castle Garden Immigration Centre:
    Sarah, aged 30
    Joseph P, aged 4
    Margaret J, aged 2

They travelled on the Majestic from Liverpool and Queenstown, arriving on 6th August 1893.

I don't know if they are related to your Weaver family, but thought that you might like to keep them to one side - just in case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast