mikmog

Default Where Can I Obtain 'Family Tree Software'

Can anyone suggest where I might obtain Family Tree software, preferably a free version. I had the free 2005 version of Family Tree Maker courtesy of the Sunday Times at the time. I recently downloaded the American Rootsmagic 5 free version and 'imported' the data from the 2005 FTM to it. I'm not entirely happy with the RM5 format and would prefer to start afresh with an easily managed software package capable of accepting imported files from Rootsmagic 5.

Thanks

Mike

Nicolina

you could try Legacy which is downloadable from https://www
    .legacyfamilytree.com/. The free version does lack some of the "extras" that are available on the paid for version but these are not vital,
    I use it alongside FTM. Gedom files are easily imported and exported also entering details is simple.

Lorinda Martin

Familysearch.org allows you family trees to fill in with hopes you will submit them back for their records. I keep them on the desktop of my computer to add on to. I have downloaded a couple of them free from there so as to record my husband's family as well. The software has some nice features to it such as editing options to re-order siblings and places to put other spouses and children by them, different options in viewing such as pedigree view or tree. Check it out for yourself - maybe it will be what you are looking for. Familysearch.org has more then US records- seems to have a lot of records from England and Canada.

coenmfam

Gramps is another free genealogical software
    https://
    gramps-project.org/
    Last edited by Procat; 08-11-2012 at 4:54 AM. Reason: Link removed - site asks for donations

mfwebb

I do hope you don't get confused by all the suggestions you might get. Everyone has their particular favourite.

In my experience all the programmes do the same basic thing -- help you keep track of your ancestors in a logical way -- at least logical if you know how to use the programme. My advice has always been to choose a programme that looks as though it might be right for you then stick with it and learn how to use it to get the best from the programme -- and don't get tempted to try another programme just because someone recommends it. I have dabbled with Legacy (didn't like it) and RootsMagic (I like the fact that it can be installed on a USB stick). RM is probably the programme I would go with if I was starting from scratch. But with those programmes you have to pay for updates.

Having said that here's my recommendation -- Brother's Keeper.
    https://www.
    bkwin.org

It is shareware which means you can download it and use it for free. You can register if you want which releases some functions which are not available in the unregistered version. I used the unregistered version for about 3 years and never found the need for any of the functions which were not available to me. I finally registered in 1996 and have used it ever since. The great advantage of Brother's Keeper is that it is updated frequently and you can download the updates FOR FREE from the website (whether you have a registered version or not). So use it forever for free or register it and use the full version forever for free. There is also an active BK forum to which the developer, John Steed, contributes so you have direct access to the programmer.

It is not the prettiest front end and is probably not the best programme around but it has suited my purposes for around 20 years and continues to do so. But then I know how to use it and to get the best from it and if I get stuck I can post a query on the forum and get responses from other users and, on occasions, direct from John Steed himself. All this for a one-off fee of $45 (current price). If you do look at the website don't be put off by the update prices -- these are only for updates on CD or with a new manual. Updates are FREE to download. As for the manual -- well, I do know where it is (it is the 1996 DOS edition) and the last time I consulted it was to enter my registration details when I downloaded the programme onto a new laptop last year.

Off now to download the latest version FOR FREE. My version is 6.5.12 dated 28 July 2012. The latest is 6.6 dated 31 October 2012.

Disclaimer: I have no connection whatsoever with John Steed or Brother's Keeper other than as a very satisfied user for the last 20 years.
    Last edited by MarkJ; 08-11-2012 at 3:26 PM. Reason: Commercial site, so link edited.

CanadianCousin

Quote Originally Posted by mfwebb View Post
    I have dabbled with Legacy (didn't like it) and RootsMagic ... But with those programmes you have to pay for updates.
    I've never used RootsMagic, but have been a Legacy user for many years, and wanted to clarify what Malcolm said above. First, the Standard Edition of Legacy is free and the latest version can be downloaded from their website at any time. If you do want the extra 'bells and whistles' that come with the Deluxe Edition, then updates (usually released every couple of months) are still free - it's only when they release a major upgrade (e.g., from Legacy 6 to Legacy 7) that you would need to pay - and then only if you want the newer version. If you have the previous Deluxe Edition, you do get a small price discount when upgrading - currently, it's US$21.95 to upgrade from Legacy 6 Deluxe, compared with US$29.95 to buy Legacy 7 Deluxe for the first time (those prices are for the download versions, without a CD or printed manual). Generally, the upgrades occur every 2 - 3 years, although Legacy 7 has been out since early 2008.

You may or may not like Legacy - like anything else, it's a question of personal taste and what you're used to - but it's definitely one of the least expensive options (and, as stated, totally free for the Standard Edition).

Hope this helps -

Tim

mikmog

Hi Malcolm

You're right, it comes down to a matter of personal choice and what I find to be the easiest to use. To arrive at that final choice I decided I need to try a few packages, I've limited myself to trying three, as you say they all appear to provide the same basic function. I'm currently using the free versions of Rootsmagic V5 and Legacy V7.5 so I may try BK to complete the trio, give myself enough time to get the feel of all three and make a decision.

Thank you for your response to my original request. Much appreciated

Mike
    Woore
    Shropshire

mikmog

Hi Tim

Thanks for that, I'm currently assessing Legacy (std version) along with Rootsmagic Essentials V5 also free. I intend to try one other before making my choice, probably BK as suggested by Malcolm.

Thank you for your response its much appreciated.

Mike
    Woore
    Shropshire

mfwebb

"Last edited by MarkJ; 08-11-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Commercial site, so link edited."

Apologies for including a commercial link in my earlier post; and thanks to Mark for the edit.