Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Family Tree Maker 2008

My laptop is now reaching retiring age and it seems it may be only weeks before it gives up the ghost and I have difficulty in downloading anything to a CD. How can I transfer my family tree details to another laptop/Ipad
    Any help would be appreciated

terrysfamily

Do you have a USB port and a memory stick?

MarkJ

Presumably FTM has the ability to create a GEDCOM? If so, then simply create a gedcom of your tree and copy it somewhere - to CD, USB stick, external drive etc or even email it to yourself - they tend not to be huge files. Of course, you need to be aware that any photos or other images may not be copied too - those might need to be copied seperately by locating the folder where media is kept by your FTM program and copying that as well

terrysfamily

See HERE for how best to go about it. This will copy photes and notes.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

I'm no expert at all, but could you email the whole thing to yourself and access it on your new computer when you retrieve your emails.

Steve.

Brick wall demolition expert!

There is another bit of software you can get called "Transfer my PC" - this effectively lets you plug the 2 computers together and transfer everything over.

Just google the expression - there are lots of different versions of it, none of which are expensive.

Of course you can then keep it and use it the next time you change PCs.

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by terrysfamily View Post
    See HERE for how best to go about it. This will copy photes and notes.
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions-I think I will try a USB Memory Stick
    If I save up my pennies and buy an IPAD would I be able to transfer my tree onto the IPAD?

Reputation beyond repute

If I save up my pennies and buy an IPAD would I be able to transfer my tree onto the IPAD?
    Please don't do that. It would be a ridiculous way to go to solve a simple problem.

Presumably your two PCs have wireless and presumably you have a wireless router. In that case you have a network and can transfer files across the network. Someone else will have to confirm that MS-Windows doesn't sabotage it but it darn well ought to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ponton View Post
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions-I think I will try a USB Memory Stick
    I don't think that's the best solution.
    1) The iPad doesn't have a USB port.
    2) You will, presumably, want to run FTM 2008 (or another genealogy program) on your replacement machine so you need a machine which can run the software you want to use.

jac65

Hi

First of all purchase your new computer.

Decide what Genealogy software you want on new computer. As most now come with Windows7 check whether your current FTM2008 is suitable or not.

Load your genealogy software, if FTM 2008, use original disk and then you might need to run any updates since original purchase.

Once you are satisfied that your genealogy software is loaded on new computer correctly, look in the Help guide of the genealogy program and follow the instructions on Importing from FTM 2008.

Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast