greg_ball

Default Who is the father of Mary Ann Davenport?

Hoping someone can help me get a bit further along with this one...
    I am trying to identify the father of a Mary Ann DAVENPORT, who I think may be one of my CHIVERS family.

Starting with the marriage certificate: Mary Ann DAVENPORT married William Arthur THOMPSON, 25 Dec 1891 at St. Giles in the Fields, Middlesex. She is a Shirtmaker, of 32 New Compton Street. Witnesses were Albert WILLIAMS and Precilla HOWE.
    and you can find them in 1901 and 1911, as follows:
    1901: RG13/45; Folio: 128; Page: 22; Schedule: 138.
    1911: RG14/1781; RG78/63; RD: 23; SD: 3; ED: 09; Schedule: 41.

No father is given on the marriage certificate and I have been trying to find who he might be. I appreciate this is difficult, and usually wouldn't begin to try, but the 1891 census gives me a tantalising clue:
    In 1891 Mary Ann is living at 32 New Compton Street, with her grandmother, Hannah CHIVERS.
    RG12/212; Folio: 139; Page: 35; Schedule: 280

I know that Hannah had 6 children, of which only 3 (all sons) survived to adulthood. So I am assuming one of these sons is Mary Ann’s father. The question is which one? All were old enough, and single, in 1871. They were:
    William Samuel CHIVERS [1846-1904] m. 1876 to Eliza WARREN, 1 son
    Thomas Courtain CHIVERS [1848-1916] m. 1883, to Helen SOUTHWELL (nee BRYAN), no children
    John CHIVERS [1852-1909] m. 1873, to Emily Amelia CHAMP, 4 sons 2 daughters

I have found the birth record for Mary Ann DAVENPORT in the ancestry records, showing she was born 11 Jun 1871 (just after the census unfortunately) in the St Giles workhouse to Ann DAVENPORT and was illegitimate. I haven’t sent for the birth certificate, but doubt very much whether it will give me any more.

My issues/thoughts at the moment are:
    I cannot find Ann DAVENPORT in 1871, or Ann/Mary Ann in 1881.

I cannot find Thomas Courtain CHIVERS in 1871/1881 – he completely disappears from the census, and I am inclined to think he may be the father and living with Ann and his daughter under a different name. I did send for his death certificate in the hope she might have been the informant, but she wasn't.

Also, I find it interesting that William Samuel made a will in 1904, even though he had a small estate and left everything to his wife and son – no other family member has done this and I wonder if this was to prevent an illegitimate daughter claiming any of his estate?

What other records could help me with this one?

Alternatively, of course, the 1891 census is a mistake, and she isn’t Hannah’s granddaughter, and I have been barking up the wrong tree! I’d just like to confirm one way or another.

Be interesting to see what those on here thought...

pippycat

Hi Greg, don't know if this could be your Ann Davenport, have a look see what you think.

1881 census p1729 f120 pg6

Ann Davenport c1868 Bethnal Green Pauper
    Emma Davenport c1866 Bethnal Green Pauper

Bethnal Green Workhouse Schools, Leytonstone.

1871 Census p479 no folio given pg2

The link shown to the above Emma brings this page up though!

Thomas Davenport b1838 Baker
    wife Emma b1836
    Walter b1856
    Thomas b1860
    John H b1862
    Emma b1866
    Anna b1868
    Eson (son) 1 month - possibly Esau.

All born Bethnal Green.

Address: St James? Place, Bethnal Green.

Rebecca