sueannbowen

Default Manston in Thanet

I have been helping a friend begin her tree with Kent relatives, some of whom were born and lived in Manston. Phillimores Atlas is not showing any parish registers for that place so can anyone suggest which church they might have used? I think that St Lawrence in Thanet is a possible but it might not be the only one.

Many thanks.

janbooth

Doing a Google search on Manston parish records brought up a piece on the history of Manston which includes the statement that St Catherine's church was built in 1872 as a Chapel of ease for those unable to attend St Lawrence's church in Ramsgate. Any help??

Janet

sueannbowen

Oh thanks v m Janet. Google didn't find that for me. That is interesting, I wonder where the registers are. Possibly with the St Lawrence ones I suppose.

Reputation beyond repute

There's an online map of English parishes (English Jurisdictions 1851)

https://maps.familysearch.org/#search

Reputation beyond repute

Also see the gazetteer on the VisionofBritain site

"MANSTON, a hamlet in St. Lawrence parish, Kent...."

Starting to feel at home

I understand St Lawrence registers are at the Cathedral archives in Canterbury.
    As a chapel of ease within St Lawrence parish would St Catherine have had separate registers?

Reputation beyond repute

Cathedral archives in Canterbury
    ...which are currently closed for building work. Microfilms have a temporary home at the university and a selection are at Maidstone Library. The Canterbury Cathedral parish register collection is supposed to be going on line very shortly on findmypast.