Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BISHOP

donvale215

Default BISHOP

Searching for information on William Bishop, Prescot Lancashire Born 1898

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Welcome to the forum, Val.

Do you have a few more details you could add? The more you can tell us, the easier it usually is to help you.
    I did a quick check on birth registrations for William Bishops in 1898 in Lancashire and there were four in total, two in Prescot registation district. One was William John, and one was plain William. So, for instance, do you know if he was plain William, or did he have a middle name? Do you know his birthdate? Any idea of who his parents are? Father's occupation? Names of any brothers and/or sisters? And most importantly of all, what exactly do you want to find out about him?

If you're a newcomer to genealogy, you need to be aware that Prescot registration district is not the same as Prescot the town. If you don't know what the difference is, then just say and we'll explain in more detail. (Even though I live in the UK it took me quite some time to understand all the different layers of 'government'. )

Pam

donvale215

Thankyou for your help Pam I am new to this and need alll the help I can get. As this is my in laws family and they know very little I am really flying quite blind. I do know he was just plain william Bishop, born 4th May 1898 in Prescot. He married Mary Green in 1920 same area. Not sure of the sibling names' I think I have the right cert numbers for William Bishop but need to cross check to be certain. Thanks again Val

Quote Originally Posted by donvale215 View Post
    Thankyou for your help Pam I am new to this and need alll the help I can get.
    First rule - never be afraid to ask. We were all new to family history at one stage, and some of us (naming no names ) still have big gaps in our (my) knowledge.
    As this is my in laws family and they know very little I am really flying quite blind. I do know he was just plain william Bishop, born 4th May 1898 in Prescot. He married Mary Green in 1920 same area. Not sure of the sibling names' I think I have the right cert numbers for William Bishop but need to cross check to be certain. Thanks again Val
    Plain William with a birthdate in May would indicate that he's the one with a birth registered in June quarter 1898. Prescot registration district, volume 8b page 770. But bear in mind Graham's question about how you know William's birthdate.

In the 1901 census, by good fortune, there's a William and a William J, both living in Prescot registration district.
    The census was taken on the night of 31 March, so William J being listed as 3 years old, and plain William being 2 would equate very nicely with William J's birth being registered in March quarter 1898, so it's 99.99999% certain that this is plain William in the 1901 census:
    RG13/3522 folio 112 page 4
    52 Waterloo Street, St Helens

William Hy Bishop, head, 24, glass bottle labourer,
    Mary E, wife, 27, (definitely Mary E - see discrepancy with 1911 census)
    Mary A, daur, 4,
    William, son, 2,
    Mabel, daur, 1,
    William senior born Staffordshire. Wife and children all born St Helens.

1911 census
    RG14 PN22776 SN181
    25 Frazer Street, St Helens
    William H Bishop, 33,
    Mary Ann, wife, 36,
    Mary Ann, daur, 14,
    William, son, 12,
    Thomas A, son, 5,
    Alice, daur, 5,
    John J, son, 3,
    Samuel, son, 5 months

William senior born Brierly(sic) Hill Staffordshire. Everyone else born St Helens. (For reference, Brierly is actually spelt Brierley.)
    Couple married for 15 years, had 7 children one of whom had died. That was Mabel. Death registration in March quarter 1902.

This is probably William and Mary's marriage:
    William Herbert Bishop and Mary Ann Hunt, March quarter 1896, Prescot registration district, but you do need to get William junior's birth certificate first to prove it. I know people moan about the expense of obtaining certificates, but if you want absolute proof that (as far as humanly possible) you have the correct family then for a direct ancestor you should always get certificates if they're available.

(As an aside, William John's parents were Oliver and Jane.)

(Census in care of TNA, and Crown copyright.)

Pam

RonOne

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    (As an aside, William John's parents were Oliver and Jane.)
    Baptisms: 20 Mar 1898 St Mary the Virgin, Prescot, Lancashire
    William John Bishop - Child of Harry Bishop & Jane
    Born: 1 Feb 1898
    Abode: Prescot
    Baptised by: R.Freeman
    Register: Baptisms 1895 - 1900, Page 67, Entry 534
    Source: Lancashire OPC

donvale215

Default bishop

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    If you know the exact date presumably you have his birth certificate. If so what were the names of his parents? If you don't have it you need to obtain it if you are to successfully trace the family further back.

Failing that, his marriage certificate would list his father's name and occupation which would add a little more detail in ensuring you end up with the correct birth certificate.

Just a quick question. If you don't have his B/C how do you know the exact date of birth. Was this from a death record or other source?
    I was told his date of birth by his daughter though I dont have the certificate. I do have his marriage certificate which does list his fathers name suprise suprise William. Occupayion was tube drawer in the Glass works, no company name though. He married Mary Green in 1920 but I do not have his siblings names or his children except the youngest Mary and i think Ken?

donvale215

Thankyou Ron but I dont think this is my man as he was born 4th May 1898 thanks for your trouble

donvale215

Thankyou so much Pam I think the plain william is the one wow what a lovely lot of information so helpful cant thank you enough' Would it be too much to ask if you could possibly track his wife Mary Green who was born inDec 1901 married in May 1920 and died in Nov 1940. Father George was deceased when she married William and I have no idea of the mother at this stage. Val

Thankyou Ron but I dont think this is my man as he was born 4th May 1898 thanks for your trouble
    Ron agrees that William John ain't yours, but was adding some information about him. I had said that on the census William John's parents were Oliver and Jane, but Ron had found William's baptism entry which says his parents were Harry and Jane.

Pam

Thankyou so much Pam I think the plain william is the one wow what a lovely lot of information so helpful cant thank you enough' Would it be too much to ask if you could possibly track his wife Mary Green who was born inDec 1901 married in May 1920 and died in Nov 1940. Father George was deceased when she married William and I have no idea of the mother at this stage. Val
    The short answer to this is 'yes'.
    However, if you know the names and birthdates (precise year is a minimum) of any brothers and sisters she may have had, then it might be possible to find her in 1911.
    If she'd been born December 1900, then she should have been easy to trace on the 1901 census, and then on to the 1911 census.
    As it is, she's 9 years old on the 1911census, and you don't know if her father is alive or dead. If he's dead has her mother remarried and Mary has been listed under her mother's new surname in error? Do you know where Mary was (allegedly) born? Was she plain Mary, or did she have a middle name? Lots of things to consider.
    There is a Mary Green birth registration in Prescot registration district December quarter 1901. You could send for it, and specifiy that her father should be called George, but that in itself wouldn't prove that it was your Mary, though if the birthdate, not just the month, matched then it would be highly likely.

Pam

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast