Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Question Charles Lyon Levi - Warwickshire, Birmingham

Researching the levi/Lewis family the above is my gggrandfather bn about 1760 and died in 1862 as far as I know was born & lived & died in Warwickshire, Birmingham. He was a painter & engraver. Married to Alice ......? His son, Lewis L Levi b. 1827. Can anyone help, please.
    Gilly

Starting to feel at home

Re Charles Lyon Levi - Warwickshire, Birmingham. I made an error, his birth abt 1794. d. abt 1760.
    Thanks.
    Gilly

janbooth

Hello Gilly,

Could this be Lewis in the 1841 census of Birmingham:

HO107/1142/8, folio 48, page 10
    Upper Dean Street

Ellis LEVI 42
    Lewis do 15 Printer's Apprentice
    Elizabeth do 12
    Julia do 4

Julia was born in the county of Warwickshire, none of the others were. Ellis could be a mis-enumeration of Alice as she is shown as Female and Lewis's occupation would fit given that his father was perhaps a printer (not painter) and engraver.

Bingo, here are the family in the 1851 census of Birmingham together with father Charles this time:

HO107/2052, folio 627, page 20
    13 Bristol St

Charles Lyon LEVI Head Mar 57 Engraver Warwickshire Birmingham
    Ellis do Wife Mar 52 London
    Elizabeth do Daur 22 do
    Julia do Daur 14 Warwickshire Birmingham

So it looks as though Ellis could be the correct name for Charles's wife. At least that is one step forward. However, I can't find any records for their marriage or the birth of Charles at the moment. Could this be because they were Jewish and therefore were not married, nor baptised their children, in the Christian faith? Will keep looking.

Janet

janbooth

Silly me, I should have read your post properly as it comes under the heading Jewish Roots!! Blame it on old age!

Janet

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The 1841 census finds Charles in debtor's prison in Birmingham -- HO107/1145 book 8 folio 27 page 1 (held by TNA, Crown copyright). This explains why he is not with the rest of the family in 1841 found by Janet above.

The corresponding London Gazette notice describes him as a printer and dealer in hardware goods.

A notice in the Leeds Intelligencer of 1 March 1819 suggests he may have been in financial difficulties at a much earlier date. From what I can see of the (free) thumbnail, he was in business with a Nathan LEVI -- looks like Black Lead [... Penc]il Makers, Quill Manufacturers etc. ? It could be worth paying for a proper look at ...

www.
    britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

... since the name of his business seems to be given there.

There's also another listing for debt, in the Birmingham Gazette of 1844.

Sorry if you've got all this already.

Here he is in the British Book Trade Index, with a few more addresses taken from trade directories.

There are several other LEVI entries for Birmingham that could also be investigated in that database.

As regards BMD and other records for the Jewish community in Birmingham, I'm not aware of anything online for the right period. But Birmingham Archives hold the records of the Birmingham Hebrew Congregation, so you might want to consider visiting or getting some research done there.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

I think there may be a Lyon Levi, quill pen manufacturer and a Charles Lyon Levi, an engraver, though it is a bit peculiar that the two don’t both get listed in the same year’s directory
    From various Birmimgham directories (year is publication date):
    1829 Levi Lyon, quill, wax, and black lead pencil maker, Fordrough st
    1833 Levi C. L. engraver and printer, 35, Ellis-street
    1839 Levi Lyon, quill and pencil dealer, 3, Fordrough street
    1841.Levi Charles, engraver and printer, 6 Upper Dean st
    1845 Levi Charles Lyon, copper plate engraver, 6 Upper Dean st.,Smithfield,& 4 Court, Bull st
    1849 Levi Lewis & Son, engravers and printers, 13, Bristol street
    1850 Levi Charles engraver & printer, 13 Bristol street
    1855 LeviCharles.L.,engraver & lithographer 13 Bristol St
    1856 Levi Charles, engraver & printer, 14 Little Hill st.Bristol st
    1858 Levi Chas. L., engraver, 101, Latimer St south

There's also a John LEVI in BBTI (see link above). It looks like a family business.

Starting to feel at home

Janet, Thank you so much for the info. We have discovered since I wrote, that Charles's wife was Elsie Cohen. Haven't a marriage certificate, but Lewis L Levi was married in Sydney Australia 1860. If I find out anything more I will let you know.
    Blessings.
    Gilly

Starting to feel at home

Hi Kerry,

Thank you for the info, it is was very much appreciated and the response so immediate, brilliant! I did receive such info only yesterday before I log in to read my responses. But a brilliant bunch of people!
    Thanks again, best wishes.
    Gilly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast